Power flushing

I've got a Kamco and it can take up to 75 degrees. Is this a new thing?

The results seem much much better with heated water being used, I actually think that there is no point doing a powerflush with cold water, unless you are using acid based chemicals.

Even still though, I now install an in-line-filter on every ex-open vented system I convert to pressurised/condensing, and on badly sludged systems which I powerflush, and no matter what chemicals/heat I use, or how long the flush takes, or whether I use my Magnaclean powerflush filter, the damn filter is still dirty after a couple of weeks!

Sponsored Links
o you guys use a disclaimer??

I did have a bad experience a few years back i was flushing a system then the boiler started leaking(used x400)

It was an old oil boiler (Trianco 11)

I was lucky the customer said thats ok just replace it,other people may not be so understandig
I have allways worried since with open vent systems

gasandoilman said:
o you guys use a disclaimer??

I did have a bad experience a few years back i was flushing a system then the boiler started leaking(used x400)

It was an old oil boiler (Trianco 11)

I was lucky the customer said thats ok just replace it,other people may not be so understandig
I have allways worried since with open vent systems

Good point I had'nt tought of that. ;)

Ill start a new post in trade talk for sergestions on wording :)

I have a friend who uses one and said he will let me have a copy :)
i can send,email or put it on here? :idea:

I hire my power flush unit as sister in law is manger of h.s.s hire :LOL:

Sponsored Links
clf-gas said:
Tony, firstly apologies for any offence caused by my posting something you wrote several years ago. (sorry emoticon).

Secondly, Ive only had the Kamco kit for about a month and done four flushes on my own, two people not required though useful.

Third and finally, Chemical choice is paramount and a good pump that creates a good turbulance in the system is more than helpful, max temp ie, mine 70`+, is a bonus too as most boilers will do 50`+ on a low setting.

which model is it, where did you purchase it and how much if you dont mind me asking

You can often find the Kamco pumps on ebay, it's the cf30 but make sure that any you may bid on have the double dump valve, earlier ones didn't.

sooey said:
You can often find the Kamco pumps on ebay, it's the cf30 but make sure that any you may bid on have the double dump valve, earlier ones didn't.

yes seen that but dont think they much cheaper by the time you put the P+P on :eek:

People love to repeat that posting I made some while ago because they dont take the trouble to read and understand it.

All I was saying is that it is possible to clean a system using the existing pump and appropriate chemicals over a period of several weeks!

What they fail to comprehend is that if the old system is not working or several weeks are not available because the customer needs it done today then powerflushing is the quick solution.

It would have been better had I not added the comment that "power flushing is primarily a show for the customer". Since most power flushing is not done properly then thats all it is ! But I now wish I had not said it as it gets repeated by people with questional motives.

Tony

Well I will hapilly agree with you Tony - I've come across plenty of customers that have paid out for powerflushing that has done next to nothing. A giveaway are cheap radiator valves on the system- if they haven't been changed the chances are they won't have been touched during the flush - the spindles would leak. Last one I saw was a Pott Performa suffering drom sludge. The "installer" had removed the return filter" in the hope the boiler would operate and had the cheek to charge for powerflushing.

The powerflush operation is the the easy part of the job....its all the preparation before. Isolating the FE tank mains feed, cutting in an isolation valve, bailing out the tank, disconnecting it to clean it out and disinfect, drain down the system to replace the leaky pump ball valves, cutting the siezed valves off the pump, replacing auto air vents with manual types, bypassing non return valves, replacing all the old TRV's and leaking lockshields, fitting drain-offs etc etc. A days work before you get to powerflush. :)

I totally agree it takes a good hour to set the system up, i use the cf30 Kamco pump, the cf2 pump adaptor and the radhammer to vibrate the sludge out of the radiator oh and a magnaclean to pick up the sludge customers love to see the results. A job normally takes me four hours to a day to do it properly.

I prefer to flush before i fit the new boiler and if the old one is still working then i heat up the water and use a laser thermometer on the rads.

If its a hot water gravity fed system then you have to isolate the flow to the cylinder in order to flush the radiators properly nightmare job.

Kamco do have some good chemicals and free training days worth doing if your not to sure how to flush properly.

Heatspec, if theres a balancing valve in the return from the cylinder this can be used to isolate DHW circuit from CH circuit during powerflushing.

timmy make sure you also get extra hoses for dumping, the standard ones are always to short
i use the kamco machine with the filters.
power flushing does get a bad name.i went to a job the other day to service the boiler, got talking to the customer and they told me they had a flush a year ago and still had problems, had paid £600
one look at the rads and they where double entry valves!!!!!!!!!!
if poss take kamco up on their free training

good luck grum

Heatspec said:
Kamco do have some good chemicals and free training days worth doing if your not to sure how to flush properly.

I am sorry to dissapoint you but the take up on their training has been over extending their capabilities and they now charge about £30 for the training. Its still booked many weeks in advance!

I am sure that its still good value even at £30.

If you are about to buy one of their machines make sure you get them to agree to give you the free training. If they argue then mention my name to Keith and say that I assured you that they would give you the training free with the new machine! "Stands to reason" as Alf Garnet would have said*

Tony

*Warren Mitchell has upset north London residents by objecting to the Kenwood Concerts and they have now been cancelled much to the dissapointment of 90,000 concert goers.

And so the training should be free, Kamco just add a few valves to an Italian powerflusher and charge a fortune (its only a 330W motor...much smaller and cheaper than the other pumps out there.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back