Power flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love this power flushing lark.

Is it true it only cleans the system to around 80% clear?.

OH! and found this from the advocate of clean flushed systems :eek:

By Tony Glazier (Agile) on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 09:41 pm: Edit Post
The treatment manufacturers dont help.

They do not make it clear just what their concoctions actually do. Nevertheless after X400 has been in a system for 4 or 5 weeks the colour is quite dark and I had always immagined ( hoped ? ) that it had dissolved the sludge. It certainly quietens ci boilers!

I cannot see much sludge being flushed out of a system by fluid movement alone. At least the acid treatments do work very well.

Power flushing to me is primarily a show for the customer. There are few situations I see it doing any better that the correct treatment left for the appropriate time using the system boiler and pump or in extreme cases mains water pressure flushing. X400 does need four weeks of heating use. Only the acid treatments will be completed in a few hours and I only use them in the worst cases.

There are two main sludge constituents, oxides of iron and oxides of copper with only small amounts of other materials. Almost any acid will dissolve these and hydrochloric is the cheapest to buy. I have only used this on disassembled components mainly because of others alleged concerns. I wonder why so few people use it on whole systems. I have not heard of any genuine bad experiences using HCl.

Interestingly the Fernox test kit will measure concentrations of both Sentinel and Fernox although they say they operate on different principles. Sentinel told me it is " based on Molydebenum " but they also mention " organic compounds ".

The man at Purimatchos when asked if his products were approved by benchmark replied " Whats Benchmark ? "

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
I would hope to acheive nearer 90% with a strong cleanser.

Can't believe Tony said this as I though all faults were do to systems not be flushed :rolleyes:

im gunna buy a powerflushing machine, ive never done it usually do new installs on a mains flush.. can anyone recommend a powerflushing machine the Kamco kit looks good is it easy to do (powerflushing)

Is it true it only cleans the system to around 80% clear?.
Fernox claimed in ther ads that you can clear out "up to 80%" of the grot.
Makes you wonder about the other 20%, eh?

I wouldn't support everything Tony said but if the liquid keeps going round and round, does it really matter if the rads don't emit all they should? Not a lot.

Sure there will be inefficiencies in boilers - I'd love to see some figures!

Now if all radiators were aluminium, or stainless steel....

Sponsored Links
I've used the Sentinel for the last 6 years, no probs but I like the look and spec of the Kamco.

Is this what you use Craig?

gas4you said:
I've used the Sentinel for the last 6 years, no probs but I like the look and spec of the Kamco.

Is this what you use Craig?

Yep got it last month, could buy anoughter two now :LOL:

IMO the rothy is worse than useless with its max temp of 50 odd degrees

the fernox one can go up to 80 degs

Its more important to do it appropriately for the system and with the best choice of chemicals than the actual make of pump.

From what I pick up few people ever do power flushing properly. Its hard work and takes 3-5 hours with two people unless you are very agile.

Most never touch any rad and dont use any chemicals!

Even the best cleansing is spoilt in a few days if the tenants leave the filling loop open.

Tony

Tony, firstly apologies for any offence caused by my posting something you wrote several years ago. (sorry emoticon).

Secondly, Ive only had the Kamco kit for about a month and done four flushes on my own, two people not required though useful.

Third and finally, Chemical choice is paramount and a good pump that creates a good turbulance in the system is more than helpful, max temp ie, mine 70`+, is a bonus too as most boilers will do 50`+ on a low setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back