Flushing my central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm hoping to buy a fan convector heater to be fitted in my conservatory (a Myson Hi-Line) and the installation manual I've found online says that I should flush my central heating system before fitting the unit to the existing pipes (there used to be an old Myson unit where I am hoping to fit the new one).
A) is this absolutely necessary?
B) if so, do I need to get somebody in to do it, or can I do it myself?

My central heating is run off of a combi boiler, which was fitted last summer. The radiators in my house are all fairly old, but in good working order.
Grateful for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
I would say, get somebody in to do it.. I would recommend a local company who guarantee their work. A large company such as British Gas will make you pay through the nose for a power flush.

Jason Karitt
londonsurreyplumbers.co.uk

As your new boiler was fitted recently I would have expected the system to be flushed at the time - can you check back on the paperwork and see if it was done?

It would still be advisable to perform another flush after installing any new pipework, particularly with soldered connections where flux can get into the system. Easy enough to do yourself, you can run the system with X400 in it for a couple of weeks and then do a mains flush. Instructions here.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back