Flushing out coolant, Hyundai i20 petrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2009 reg 1.4

I'm going to flush out the original fill and put 2L of red long life in.

Does the engine block have a drain plug?

Any suggestions on how best to flush the system clean welcome.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Very slim chance of there being a block drain point I'm afraid.....off with the bottom radiator hose is the usual way, with the heater on, if it has an electric valve.
If you can disconnect maybe a heater hose at the highest point that would greatly help too.
Then refill with clean water and drain again.
John :)

Most obliged Burnerman, job for tomorrow now.

Have just finished put new front pads in the car although sadly, the o/s has to come back of when I can get a new slider bolt rubber. Its split so I've pack with it grease to keep it protected for now.

Job half done.

I've drained the system as best I can and filled back up with neat water. Will run it for a week to get the rest of the old anti-freeze purged from the bottom of the engine block.

I took the bottom rad hose off and the top heater off to drain. The heater hose off at the engine side let me flush the heater pipes better I think.

Will drain again and put the new anti-freeze in next weekend.

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's probably the best way to do it - there's always some residue left.
One sort of tip is to see how much comes out so you can gauge how much needs to go back in.....squeezing various hoses as you refill helps things too.

Job all done!

Had the car on the drive all this week.

Did a cold flush yesterday, refilled neat water and took it for a drive. Did hot flush from the hot tap, refilled, another spin up the road, then drained, hot flushed and then put 2L of anti-freeze to give 33% concentration, then toped up with hot water.

Doing a hot fill, as daft as it sounds, I put the anti-freeze in the microwave to warm it up so not cold shocks to the hot engine when I poured it in.

From a 5L tub, 2.5L in my 45 TD and 2L in the i20 so 0.5L left over to add a 1L water to for top up.

That's absolutely fair enough.....I go for the greater concentration because you can guarantee the punter will top up with water only - assuming they top up at all, of course!

I used to think "the more concentrate the better" until I found the maker's chart that says if you exceed the recommended concentration, it starts to provide less protection against freezing.

That's correct......too much concentrate does affect the heat transfer qualities of the coolant also.

Sponsored Links
Back