Flying beetle type bugs in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All ,
I have a property rented out and the Tenant has reported bugs in the bathroom .When i bought the house ,(old stone terrace) it had a problem with damp in the bathroom ,due to leaking stone gutters,which I had relined with lead .

Anybody tell me if these bugs will have caused damage to the woodwork and if it is treatable .The ceiling has wood cladding .Some skirting board has shown signs of wrinkling (dry rot )?.

Is the place falling apart !!!

Any advice with regards to treatment of problems appreciated .
Many Thanks
Rob.

Sponsored Links
Hi Stuart ,no i have no pics of the bugs ,as i have not been up there yet .
The letting agent said they would get someone up there to have a look an give a quote for ,hopefully a fix .I just wanted to know what the worst could be .

She described them as black and beetle like and able to fly I think .
Regards
Rob.

You may have a damp issue, which is leading to timber rot etc, and which may be encouraging the infestation.

So you need to be clear exactly what the issue is - a structural problem, or just an infestation, or both

You seem to be worried about the repair costs, but you should also be worried that your tenant does not serve a Statutory Nuisance notice on you requiring you to sort this out within 21 days or face prosecution in the Magistrates Court. This will depend on what the infestation is, and whether they are a health risk

So thats the worse it could be - having to sort out the repairs, clear the infestation and be fined

Sponsored Links
I am concerned about the whole situation ,which is why I am asking .I asked the letting agent to get someone up there asap when they informed me 2 days ago .
This may well be getting looked at as we speak .I just wanted any info to pre warn me of the worst that it could be .

Thanks for the info .
Regards
Rob.

Well according to the Letting Agents I have a quote on the way to rid my property of the bugs .

Apparently they are Common Furniture Beetles .

Has anybody had any dealings with these little Critters and how bad are they .

I believe the quote is £165 to treat bathroom ceiling and to do the whole roof space is £395 (all plus Vat ) .Not received quote in post yet .

Are these easily treatable ?

Regards
Rob .

Furniture Beetle is common old woodworm. The larvae eat the wood after it's attacked by the fungus that's attacking your timbers. Not hard to sort.

bear in mind that if they have found evidence of furniture beetle in your attic and 1st floor then it may be in the ground floor aswell.i think this is the time they migrate to the surface and start the life cycle all over again?.

Furniture Beetle is common old woodworm. The larvae eat the wood after it's attacked by the fungus that's attacking your timbers. Not hard to sort.

this beetle is not always associated with fungal decay. it can just be the infestation of the wood borers alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back