Foam underlay between decking and artificial grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I installed artificial grass onto my decking last year and it looks pretty good.

However, I also installed the underlay supplied by the grass company and at the time I thought it an odd product to offer as it is similar to foam carpet underlay, ie spongy and holds water.

Research on the Internet hasn't discounted using such underlay (as similar products are offered by other auppliers). However I'm worried that the underlay will hold excess moisture and quicken the deck rotting process.

Pulling up the grass at the edges reveals that the underlay is almost constantly damp. So I'm wondering if I rip up the grass and remove the underlay before any major damage is done?

Anyone else had experience using the foam style underlay on decking?

Sponsored Links
I imagine the underlay will give a softer feel to the grass and to remove it may make it feel like walking on boards underneath, especially if you go bare foot.
If you can carefully lift both the grass and underlay, without damaging them, I would be tempted to install a damp proof membrane on top of the decking and then re-lay the underlay and grass. Hopefully this would protect the decking from being constantly wet and any moisture in the underlay may run out the sides and off the decking or eventually evaporate through the grass. Either way, the decking would be better protected than it is now.

Thanks Conny, I'll look into this. The grass and underlay were only stapled in place, so should be easily removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back