Foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanting to fill some voids around some bathroom wastes pipes before room is tiled and suite fitted, to keep pipes secure. ANy issue in me using stuff that doesnt need a gun? What does using a gun provide?

Sponsored Links
Gives more control and accuracy when going into tight spots...in your case you can just use the nozzle which comes with the can.

Metal gun is £10 in B&Q.
Look in building section but not the mastic and glue section as there was a naff plastic foam gun for £8. Better off paying £2 more for metal gun in build section of store.

When done use a foam cleaner and screw on gun, use plenty to blast through. Any left with expand and block gun.
Put in storage.
Unfortunately the left over foam can valve may not stand the storage and stick.
When you trying to get it going again it may result if foam blowing out uncontrolled. Just a heads up on that.
If you blast can top with foam cleaner and blast foam through gun it may store fine..

ty both. I guess I cut cut some more of the plasterboard away to make some of the holes a lilttle bigger. but if i go for the gun, not sure what you meant by screw on gun

Sponsored Links
Metal gun is £10 in B&Q.
Look in building section but not the mastic and glue section as there was a naff plastic foam gun for £8. Better off paying £2 more for metal gun in build section of store.

When done use a foam cleaner and screw on gun, use plenty to blast through. Any left with expand and block gun.
Put in storage.
Unfortunately the left over foam can valve may not stand the storage and stick.
When you trying to get it going again it may result if foam blowing out uncontrolled. Just a heads up on that.
If you blast can top with foam cleaner and blast foam through gun it may store fine..

I've left cans connected to the gun for several months, and they have continued fine. I only use cleaner through the gun when finishing a can and not fitting a new one. Bit of cleaner on the tip of the gun after each use though, and Stanley knife over the tip of it to make sure it can fire properly.

Gun cans are ok. No control and you need to keep using or block. Had one jam on so lobbed out window. I prefer gun. Can jam mastic nozzle on end or pipe. Also control flow. And cheap enough

ty both. I guess I cut cut some more of the plasterboard away to make some of the holes a lilttle bigger. but if i go for the gun, not sure what you meant by screw on gun

The guns have a massive thread, which the top of the foam can screws into. This opens the valve, so the foam can enter the gun, and be discharged via the trigger. When you finish the can, you get a can of gun cleaner, which attached in the same way, and you fire some of that through, to clean out the gun.

The Idea behind the gun is that you can (if you only need part of the can) remove the can, clean everything up (with a separate cleaning product) and reuse the rest later. In practice, for the sake of £5 you're probably better just chucking away what's left of the single use can, although as above, they can often be used again. I buy the disposables and try to save up a few jobs to get my money's worth.

I avoided buying a gun for years, which given the amount I spend on tools is a bit of an irony.

Now I wouldn't ever go back, the control with a gun is beyond anything you can imagine if you've not used one, no need to make any mess ever.

Wanting to fill some voids around some bathroom wastes pipes before room is tiled and suite fitted, to keep pipes secure. ANy issue in me using stuff that doesnt need a gun? What does using a gun provide?
Fine as long as you don't linger with your finger on the trigger and inadvertently fill the cavity. Handy to have a water spray bottle so that you can wet the area first. Helps prevent unwanted droppage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back