Focus 2 warning.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone out there own a Ford Focus Mk2 (2005 - 2008) 1600cc?
Leaks from the windscreen washers causes water to collect in the spark plug wells, and rusts them in. :eek:
They are taper seat plugs, and the chance of snapping them off is very high.
Ford reckon that the repair (new head, basically) is around £2500.
I have an 06 plate in at this very moment - with stuck plugs.
Off to the dealer to see what they say..... :confused:
John :)

Sponsored Links
Luckilly the threads on plugs are pretty soft so should be able to be pulled out quite easily with the head off. £2500 for a new head! Lazy fkrs ford are!

I went to see the dealer as I don't want the responsibility of snapping the plugs off. They said that there would be no compensation for this and the customer would be asked if they would like the garage to proceed.
I intend to soak the plug bottoms with penetrating fluid, and then asking them to do it....the car goes in next Thursday.
Maybe things will be fine and the plugs will wind out.....but I'm not taking that risk.
Modified washer jets are available, and recommended by Ford.
We'll see!
The car, incidentally has full ford service history, and according to their records, the plugs were replaced last year.
Now were they, I wonder?

Sponsored Links
Snugib - pull one of the plug caps out, and stick a compressed air line down the hole.
If you get an eyeful of rust powder, you may be in bother.
more details from Honest John - Focus 2 bad bits.

John, one way i have found in the past that frees them is to WD-40 them every day for a week, and when it comes to the crunch, squirt them again and get the engine up to temperature. Try doing them up before undoing them as this quite often breaks the seal.

Aye thanks for that tip, neo - I was thinking along similar lines myself.
Another thing I was considering was getting some genuine Focus plugs, and gripping it hard in the vice by the threads. I could then use a torque wrench to see (gradually) how much force was necessary to get them to shear by turning anticlockwise.
I'd then reduce the torque by say 20 ft lbs and consider that to be a safe margin.
What do you think?

Do my own services and get book stamped. Did 37000 mile service last October, plugs came out OK. But I will keep an eye on this one.
Thanks for the heads up
i would go along with neo's suggestion. Would'nt let the dealer anywhere near it.

I look after a few Focus (Focii?) for people and havent had this before - but Ford know all about it. I just didn't want the issue of taking the car back to the owner, saying 'here's yer car, missus - sorry its only running on 3 cylinders'.
Have you had the pleasure of fitting a pollen filter to a Mk 2 Focus yet? :eek:

Schedule says every 12500 miles. because of where it is I have'nt done it yet (very remiss). But then again no adverse effects. Do you think the dealers do it every 12500 miles?
Bill

Ford say 20 mins - but not for the first time!
If you want to have a go, its within the passenger foot well, and an appointment with the osteopath afterwards is recommended.
Remove the kick plate on the passenger side centre console (2 torx screws under covers).
Drop down the fuse box (2 dzus clips) followed by the 2 x 13mm nuts at the back, complete with metal bracket. Its marked which way up it goes.
Allow the fuse box to completely dangle clear - if you coax the wires theres just enough room.
The cover of the pollen filter is secured by 3 x 7mm self tappers, into the central console. You'll have to stick your head right inside the footwell, looking up.
The old filter is exhumed by pulling and twisting it out. Blow the system out with the heater blower on full - avoiding an eyeful of old leaves etc.
Fit the new filter by bending and folding it into place. Refit the plastic cover with its 3 self taps.
Hook the fuse box plus bracket back into place. The fuse box sits in the rearmost lugs. Clip it back up with the dzus clips.
Replace the plastic console with the screws and covers.
Visit osteopath to get the cricks out of your neck.
Enjoy! :D

Thanks for that. When I envisaged doing it I considered removing the Glove box. However because of my maturity, and the onset of neck, shoulder and knee pains, I will print your service procedure, and give it to my son to verify. :idea: ;)
Thanks Bill

I look after a few Focus (Focii?) for people and havent had this before - but Ford know all about it. I just didn't want the issue of taking the car back to the owner, saying 'here's yer car, missus - sorry its only running on 3 cylinders'.
Have you had the pleasure of fitting a pollen filter to a Mk 2 Focus yet? :eek:

TRY FITTING 1 ON A FORD GALAXY THEN(vw),it aint just fords who design a car thats a P.I.A. at changing things that are really deemed a simple job. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back