Foil or Solid Windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to replace the rotten softwood windows & doors in our modern house and would like to stick with cream as this is the current colour of the windows and it looks nice.

We have had a few quotes and have been offered solid cream frames (Where the plastic is cream) made by Logik 70 and cream woodgrain foil (Foil layer over a white frame) made by Kommerling, which I understand to be a good manufacturer.

What worries me are knocks & bumps that show up the white frame beneith the foil, but I find the solid cream frames a little plain and less interesting, but still okay.

Because we are living close to a busy road, we are opting for 6.4mm laminated glass across the front of the house to minimise noise, but were warned by the Kommerling installer that the Logik 70 windows, might not have strong enough hinges to take the extra weight of the glass.

The quote for the Kommerling windows is much higher too!

Anyone had any experience of cream foil and cream solid windows by these two manufacturers or how well they stand up to heavier glass on the hinges. Thanks.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Your right in what you say and are thinking ahead but i've never had any real problems with woodgrain foil on white which is worse obviously, there you would just use a touch up pen, cream on white would be harder to spot any chips but again a touch up pen from the suppliers would do.

As for the hinges this is just the DG company covering their a***s, again, in 20 years of fitting and repairing i can honestly say i haven't ever atributed laminate glass with broken hinges. If you only do the outer pane in lam then i certainly can't see a problem.

As for the hinges this is just the DG company covering their a***s, again
it was the other company trying to cast aspersions! sounds like rubbish to me. 6.4mm glass shouldn't be enough to overload a frame or hinges (tripled glazed maybe...) i certainly wouldn't want anything to do with a company that talks that kind of nonsense.

The Logik 70 windows are manufactured by Eurocell in the UK, the reason that the Kommerling product is more expensive is two-fold.

The fabricator pays more for his profile as it has to be imported from Germany and he has to pass his costs on and secondly, the profile is white in colour and has to be foil laminated or sprayed cream which is a costly 2nd op.

Eurocell invested a lot of money in extruding a solid through clour cream profile so that should the inevitable bump or scratch occur it would not affect the aesthetics of the window.

Don't be fooled into thinking more expensive is better quality. The Eurocell Logik 70 window is as good as any on the market (better than most)!

As for the hardware and hinges......what rubbish! that's just a poor salesman desparately trying to downsell other products as he doesn't have any positives to sell on his own product.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but I'll let an installer sort all this out.

It has been suggested that we go for 6.4mm laminated glass on both the front pane and rear pane of each window facing the main road.
While I accept that there will be more glass for any noise to travel through, the air gap between the panes will need to be reduced in order for the window frame to hold each unit.

I don't suppose the loss of distance between the panes will make any difference in terms of heat loss or sound insulation, will it?
This is probably a dumb question because the reduction of gap is only a few mm I guess. Well 4mm less I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back