Fold down worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Unsure which forum to ask this but hoping this might be the most suitable.

I have a rather small galley type kitchen, units down one side, bare wall (and radiator) the other, and for a while now I've been wondering if a hinged worktop on the bare wall might not be useful. Thinking along the lines of it being down, flat against the wall, most of the time for space to move around, but when there are many dishes/bowls that need a surface to be placed, could be moved up temporarily to provide it.

But I'm not quite sure the best solution. Are there heavy duty stay flaps out there that one can trust a very hot dish from the oven to, without it collapsing ? Or is there a more suitable alternative ?

I'm thinking that the worktop would need to be pulled up rather than down, as most seem to be decorative on just the one side, so the top needs to be visible when in the collapsed state.

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
That was quick; thanks :)

Yes that looks definitely worth consideration.

Just one minor problem, seems everyone is out of stock of them. Ah well, I guess it isn't urgent.

How about a gate leg under / behind the worktop, arranged to fold flat against the wall?

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Yes did consider that, but I think it would be difficult to arrange what with the radiator being in the way. I can picture brackets/stays working, but I'm unsure where any leg support could go.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back