Foot pedal for dremmel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this pedal can be used for controlling a Dremmel but I'm stumped how to wire it up.There is no marked input/output just two terminal with positive and neutral, as can be seen in pic.Can anybody help?

Attachments

• IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
It's probably wired like a normal switch. Don't know Dremmel, is this a battery or a mains thing? There is no positive in AC (mains) electricity!
Are you replacing an existing switch, or adding a switch?

My dremmel is wired there is no existing switch.A reviewer said he bought it for a rotary drill but I can't figure it out.

OK
SO it is a mains tool?

The switch has to interrupt the live connection so the brown wire is the live input from the mains plug, and the blue wire will be the switched live that goes off to the tool's live connection.

You wire it up like this drawing for a simple light switch. The circle with a cross in it will be your Dremmel.
NOTE that the neutral is NOT switched and is not connected to the switch in any way!

Screenshot 2016-10-10 11.58.52.png

Sponsored Links
I thought that's how it would be it was just the wiring diagram they supplied showed neutral and live going to the terminals,which threw me a bit.
Thanks for the info.

That photo does not show a neutral and a live.

It shows a blue and a brown wire. Wires dont know if they are live, or neutral or something else, they only what colour they are.

Pic of actual wiring diagram received with pedal , stating neutral and live.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 176
It is wrong. Obviously written by some one with no electrical knowledge.
It is, in any case, the opposite way round to your other picture - not that it matters as they are both Line conductors..

Neutral is the name given to the conductor that completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.
It is not a name for Blue or Black wires.
Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

To answer your actual question....

What is on the other end of the cable that comes out of this pedal?

Personally, I'd consider modifying a short extension lead to connect to the pedal. Then plug the dremmel into the extension lead. That way you don't need to modify the dremmel itself, and you can consider using the pedal with other devices in the future.

STOP
What comes to mind for me when someone says "Dremel" isn't mains powered. However, looking on their site I see that many of their tools are mains powered so it's not that clear. So before even thinking about this, please confirm that it is a 240V mains powered tool (without a separate power supply pack) we are talking about ?

IF it is 240V mains powered, then it needs wiring as Taylortwocities shows above, and as endecotp says, wire it into a short extension lead so you don't have to modify the tool - and it can be used for other tools as well.

Be aware that running the tool below normal speed may make it heat up more than normal - reduced airflow for cooling. SO keep an eye on the temperature and give it a rest if it starts getting hot.

Hmm, I had assumed it was an on/off pedal, not variable. If it's variable that could be interesting.

Yes it is 240 v wired without separate pack. .My first thoughts were to fit the pedal to an extension lead.Apparently when using a variable speed pedal the speed setting on the Dremmel should be set to maximum because "electronics don't like working behind two speed controllers."according to posts I've read on this subject.
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread, I now have a definitive answer.

Ah, so it already has a variable speed controller built in, and you're going to put it behind another. "Interesting", there are so many possibilities. At one extreme it'll just work, or they may interact in interesting ways, or at the very worst (though my gut feeling says not very likely) you let the smoke out of one of them.
Putting the tool on max speed won't take it's controller out of the equation - unless it has a mechanical switch that bypasses the speed control altogether, and I've never seen that in a tool.

Ah, so it already has a variable speed controller built in, and you're going to put it behind another. "Interesting", there are so many possibilities. At one extreme it'll just work, or they may interact in interesting ways, or at the very worst (though my gut feeling says not very likely) you let the smoke out of one of them.
Putting the tool on max speed won't take it's controller out of the equation - unless it has a mechanical switch that bypasses the speed control altogether, and I've never seen that in a tool.
It does not have a trigger type speed control ,it has a preset speeds which you select by sliding a mechanical switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back