Footings -Anything I need to do before the concrete goes in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hole is nearly dug for my trench fill foundations. Is there anything I need to do before the concrete gets poured? I'm planning to get power and water to my workshop at the end of the garden at some point in the future, which will come from the extension. Will these go through the wall above ground then underground or is it worth putting some conduit in? There will be a drain against this wall for the new kitchen sink. Anything else worth doing/considering?

Sponsored Links
Everything depends upon where the concrete finishes in relation to finished ground level and dpc or finished floor level.

For example, a metre dig coupled with as little as 225mm of concrete in the bottom affords the builder virtually limitless choice as to depth of drains, services, ducts etc passing through into the building, this would mean the builder has no worries and can fit any services after the pour.

However, a mass filled foundation on level ground could potentially be filled to within a few courses of the dpc or finished floor level. This concrete height would be very restrictive and ensure that service ducts, or any drains would need to be cast into or through the concrete should they be required.

Water pipes for instance should always be kept at depth to avoid frost and need to be accounted for at say 450mm-600mm below external ground level.

Ta Noseall, It'll be filled to a couple of courses below the DPC so I'll look to cast something in. Is it just a case of a short length or two of 110mm soil pipe, that'll easily fit the conduit I have? Probably need to run water, power and a cat5 or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back