Footings for Conservatory wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How deep does the footings have to be, to build a 2ft wall for a conservatory?

Sponsored Links
When we had our conservatory built last year they dug down about 1m! Although our walls had to be about 1.2m high to get the conservatory floor level the same as the house floor.

Best to check with your local building regs people.

Sponsored Links
sadly i belief as we speak, conservatories are exempt from the buiding reg's and this can lead to a lot of dodgy work going unchallenged. normally the footings have to sit on solid clay and building control would like to see footings 1 metre deep to ensure they remain unaffected by natural ground water- water table ( differential movement winter/summer)
far better and wiser to spend more time and cost putting proper footings in, than watching your lovely conservatory develop cracks or movement in a few years time. equally important: when you come to sell your home you want proof the conservatory is an assett and not a liability.

From what I remember, this stupidity of 1m deep footings came about from insurance companies after 1976. A small number of houses moved, MOST didn't, but it didn't stop the "ignorant ones" cutting of their heads and doing chicken impressions. I live on sand. It doesn't move, lots of houses around were built without any foundations, and they haven't moved for over a hundred years.

Houses can be several hundred years old, they weren't built with metres of foundations either, they were built using timber frames that could flex without collapsing.

If people stopped using CEMENT they probably wouldn't get cracks. Houses with lime mortar don't suffer much. Our house is built in two bits. One is 120 years old, lime mortar, a couple of cracks in the plaster. Foundations about 12 inches deep. The other bit is 20 years old, cement mortar (it would be better, so the brickie said) foundations 3 feet deep and cracks all over the place.

oilman said:
I live on sand.
You don't live in a beach house do you ? ;)

100% agreed with you,my property (1902) footing is on 2" slab approx 18" in the ground !!! I have put on extension on the back with 1 metre footing and now showing a slight hairline crack and still not on my original property !! I don't like cement as its show no flexibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back