Footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am digging footings for the inlaws new 5mx5m flat roof extension. The footings will be approx 4 foot deep, there will be 3.6 m bifold doors leading into the garden and I am wondering if I need to dig quite so deep at this point as there will be virtually nothing above, I was thinking maybe 2 foot would suffice at this point or am I missing something?
Ultimately it will be the building inspector who has the last word but I thought I would ask the question as it could save me a bit of spade work!

Sponsored Links
I know people who build extensions with 150mm fundations on mud.
By that standard you're going well over the top.
Back to planet earth, what are the drawings specifying?
To be honest, it's easier to dig all at same depth imo.

This is the same situation as a garage door, where three wall foundations are often stopped at the jambs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies
The drawings say 200mm concrete when hitting firm ground, which the building inspector has deemed to be about 4' since his visit and he wants the same depth all round.

You have to stick a footing in of some description, it's not really like a garage door, that scenario doesn't have a bit of wall underneath it to support the door threshold and cold bridging isn't an issue with a garage floor slab.

1.2m is fine for footings, it really depends on other factors like trees etc.

Bifolds are big heavy things & any differential movement could cause problems- may be best in the long run to bite the bullet & do the full strip...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back