For my next stupid question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question regarding watertight seals.

I am installing a thermostatic shower and don't know whether I am likely to have problems with a compression fitting which is not wound in tight upto it's shoulder.
View media item 39890View media item 39891If you look at the first image, you fill see the elbow connector needs to be in the position shown ie facing 6 o'clock position. The trouble with this is that it is not wound fully home on to it's shoulder as you can see in the second image. If it were then it would be facing 11 o'clock which is no good for the pipework it is connecting to. There is plenty if PTFE tape around the thread and I did need a spanner to do it up although if I could get a tight enough grip I could turn it by hand although it would be quite stiff.

My question is really, is this likely to be water tight? I mean, what do you do when you tighten up a fitting only for it to point in the wrong direction???
How tight it tight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wind it back to the right position and try it - remake the joint 1st.

It not designed to be wound in to the point the brass pieces meet.

I would recommend using loctite 55 in that situation, if not make sure you pressure test the valve before the hole is filled in, if you find a leak remove the valve and redo the joint.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend using loctite 55 in that situation, if not make sure you pressure test the valve before the hole is filled in, if you find a leak remove the valve and redo the joint.

Thats good stuff as you can back right off with that - never leaks.

On a related theme - when would ptfe be a preferred option over loctite?

Thanks. Not sure if you boys use tape for gas work, but I'd imagine loctite wouldn't be approprate iif you did :confused:

I'm sure loctite is suitable for gas, it says on the packet it comes under BS EN 751-2 which according to my viper book is OK for use on gas (had to dig it out to check ;) )

I did not know that Viper published in Italian!

But as the regulations for gas are bound to be different it seems rather irrelevant!

I don't think they do.

Although I currently live in italy, all the above information is relevant to the UK. (the clue is in the BS part)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back