For peace of mind please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought the mid terrace house in very poor condition over a year ago. Im in the process of replacing the ground floor external wall which are completely rotten, timber framed with earthwool itchy :mad: type thin insulation. Unsure what it was but presumably built 1970s with a gritty vinyl appearance adhered to ply. I would like to change this into a fastclad brick slips cladding and i am sure the studs are sound to hold its weight. I will add celotex insulation and breathable membrane with new osb3 boards. If i do the front first which is worst compared to the back it is 25% of the skin.Do i need planning permission or apply for building regulations? I have checked planning portals and all planning applications made in our area, none of my neighbours who replaced 1st floor upvc cladding into hung tiles applied in the council. Please advise, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely you need planning (unless your house is listed or falls under certain conservation rules) but you do need building regulations.

Thanks John, this is where I am a bit confused. Is it because of the insulation? Any idea how much it would cost me, budget is a big problem but the state of the walls are desperate.

Building regulations kicks in whenever you replace or add a building layer. i.e. if you hack off and re-render, you need building regulations. If you remove and replace plaster or plasterboard layer, you need building regulations.

Sponsored Links
Any idea how much it would cost me.
Your council's website will have details of charges.

Given how (rightly) keen the authorities are to encourage energy saving measures, all BR applications for purely thermal renovation work ought to be free, not just cavity wall, and not just at the whim of individual councils.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back