For the block layers and plasterers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to work out the sand and cement for building a straight wall and 3 pillars. The wall is 37m and the pillars are 2 blocks on flat upto a height of 1.3m

40 linear Meters bed of mortar x 0.100 wide x 0.016mm high = 0.06 x 5 beds of mortar= 0.3 ton. Throw in 0.2 ton for the pillars as over estimated and thsts 0.5 ton sand.

Only rendering one side of the block wall. Pillars and other side to be faced in stone.

My calculations for the sand is 40 linear Meters x 1m high x 25mm thick(12.5 each coat)

40x1x0.025 = 1.

Going by these measurements above, I should need 1 ton sand. At a guess, half bag cement per meter. 18 bags estimate.

So, 1.5 ton sand , 18 bags for render and ? Bags for building the blocks.

Now, go easy on me if my calculations are all wrong hahaha

Sponsored Links
Depends how much you spill! I think render is normally about 5mm for the second coat, and if your wall is flat and plumb I doubt you'd actually need 12.5mm for the first coat.

Unless you want to risk leftover sand I'd get one jumbo bag, cement to suit and top up with 25kg bags from the local DIY shed.

Depends how much you spill! I think render is normally about 5mm for the second coat, and if your wall is flat and plumb I doubt you'd actually need 12.5mm for the first coat.

Unless you want to risk leftover sand I'd get one jumbo bag, cement to suit and top up with 25kg bags from the local DIY shed.

Yeah best to be looking at it than looking for it. I don't mind having a bit over. Just don't want to much over or less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back