Ford C-Max 1.6 - service interval issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have 1.6 petrol Ford C-Max, '57 Reg. It has been serviced annually since I bought it 3 years ago.
The last service was done 2/11/12 and so I was assuming it was time to book another.
However, my query is that it's only done just over 4000 miles since its last service; so do I really need one yet?
I notice that the Ford service interval information states 12,000 miles or annually.
I just wonder why it would say annually if a car has only done about one third of the miles?
Thanks for any advice/comments

Sponsored Links
For as long as I can remember it has always been a recommendation to have at least an annual service. Your lack of mileage suggests you may only use the car on short runs which can lead to more impurities entering the engine oil than if the car was used more. Short runs tend to not heat the oil sufficiently to burn off condensation which in turn makes the lubrication less effective.

If you want a reliable car with reasonable longevity then an annual service is well worthwhile, as well as being a good safety check before any MOT is due.

For as long as I can remember it has always been a recommendation to have at least an annual service. Your lack of mileage suggests you may only use the car on short runs which can lead to more impurities entering the engine oil than if the car was used more. Short runs tend to not heat the oil sufficiently to burn off condensation which in turn makes the lubrication less effective.

If you want a reliable car with reasonable longevity then an annual service is well worthwhile, as well as being a good safety check before any MOT is due.

Thanks for your quick reply . . . . .

It's true, I generally do short journeys most days of the week and maybe 2 or 3 longer one (>50 miles) every month. The only exception is the annual trip to Wales where I'd probably cover 500 miles over the two weeks.
What you say seems to make sense to me. Would it need a minor, major (or full service) do you think?
Thanks

The type of service generally depends on the overall mileage of the car and the recommended service shedule from the manufacturer. Some will alternate minor/major others may differ. Another factor to bear in mind is that as a vehicle gets older parts can age rather than just wear out - rubbers become brittle, drive belts etc, for example - so any service may highlight potential problems as well. A cam belt failure means major engine damage so it is important to ensure this is replaced at least as often as recommended.

Sponsored Links
The type of service generally depends on the overall mileage of the car and the recommended service shedule from the manufacturer. Some will alternate minor/major others may differ. Another factor to bear in mind is that as a vehicle gets older parts can age rather than just wear out - rubbers become brittle, drive belts etc, for example - so any service may highlight potential problems as well. A cam belt failure means major engine damage so it is important to ensure this is replaced at least as often as recommended.

Good point! :D

My car has only done 29,000 miles since it was built; so really low mileage for it's age.
But still sounds like I'd be wise to get a service in the next month or so.
Cheers

Back