Ford Fiesta sump leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a problem with my 06 fiesta (had it 8 month), yesterday I noticed a tiny puddle under the car. I noticed it was pink so I thought it must be coolant. However, when I look under the car it appeared thick like sealant and running down the sump. I know sealant is used around the sump but why would it leak?
Any help would be great
Thanks lucy

Sponsored Links
Thats coolant, Lucy - leaking from somewhere above the sump, and running down the back of the engine.
Do check the coolant level in the white bottle, under the bonnet.
John :)

The coolant is low. This feels really thick almost like putty. Where would I be looking if it was from higher up because I cannt see it any where. Just around this bit.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
you need a bright light and a mirror, Lucy - to see down the back of the engine especially behind the water pump area.

Obviously it depends where the leak is....if its one of the rubber hoses then the fix is quick and cheap - if its the water pump then its more involved and expensive, depending on which engine is fitted.
Either way, please top the coolant up to the full level.....if you haven't the genuine stuff then tap water is fine in the short term.

Your luck might just be changing, after all you found the leak before doing any harm.

Hope so! I've booked it in for tomorrow, needs a service too. If I was to top it up with water to get me to the garage safely how much? And just tap water? Ive heard to use still bottled water :confused:
Lucy

Use whatever type of water you want Lucy, just with the recession an all, still bottled might be a little extravagant? On occasions like this (leaking) we use it neat straight from the tap, but its entirely up to yourself !! Take a container full with you.

But do not let the engine run low on coolant (water) or you will do the engine harm. Keep water up to or slightly above the maximum mark (line) on the tank, regardless. Even if you have to stop on the way to top it up. Don't rely on the temperature gauge, especially when the system is loosing coolant.

Just be careful of the hot coolant, if you go topping up just after the engine has stopped.

Best to top it up when the engine is cold.

Just wanted to say thanks very much. Took the car to the garage today and it was the thermostat and seal (apparently a common fault). Cost £85 but think it could of cost alot more if the car had over heated!
Once again thank you to burnerman and mursal.

Thanks for the update Lucy and good luck with your car......
Panic ye not if it breaks a front spring - they all do it :p

Got a new problem now! The car made a gurrly noise when I shut the engine off last night. So I opened the bonnet to see the coolant reservoir empty. The garage said they had put new in. I've looked about but not sure what's going on. Doesn't help that I have to drive to the highlands at the weekend.
Please help.

Is that gurly or gurgly noise, Lucy :p
Its probably the system burping to get rid of an air lock, so put the heater control on full, allow the engine to warm up, and top up the coolant at all times. Don't open the filler cap if the engine is hot though!
If the engine is pumping water out of the coolant bottle, thats something else.

Could be that they didnt managed to bleed the air out fully and its come out now, but equally, it could have been boiling a bit.

I would refill it (again, just tap water, its bettery then need special deionised water) and take it back to the garage. They should be able to rebleed it and top up with antifreese for no charge assuming there is not another fault.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Back