ford focus 1.6 tdci oil filter removal from plastic housing ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,,,just gave my focus a service today,,,new oil and filters,,,all straight forward enough apart from the oil filter what sits in the plastic housing that has to be unscrewed from engine,,,it has plastic tabs holding it in and only after watching a youtube video and rolling up some cardboard into a tube was I able to eventually get it out without breaking anything,,,is there some kind of tool you can buy for this I wonder,,,??? how do others manage with this problem,,,???,,,just so I know for next time,,,cheers......

Sponsored Links
I don't know that car. wouldn't a strap wrench or anaconda do it?

I also have a chain wrench for recalcitrant ones.

I don't know that car. wouldn't a strap wrench or anaconda do it?

I also have a chain wrench for recalcitrant ones.
its not a normal oil filter mate,,,its a plastic housing with a 27mm plastic nut built into the end,,,unscrews easy enough but the actual oil filter which sits inside of it is pushed in and plastic tabs clip over it inside,,,to get it out of the plastic housing without breaking the plastic tabs I had to roll up some rigid cardboard and push it in till the plastic tabs unclipped from the filter itself,,,it was a right chew on to be honest,,,if you had a plastic tube exactly the right size the job would have been very simple,,,i just wondered what was the correct way to do it etc...

Sponsored Links
I just pull them off by hand.....messy as hell so wrap a poly bag around it first. If its vertical (as per the Transit) undoing it half way allows the oil to drain first.
John :)

I did our Mk2 Kuga recently and would have been scuppered without the bendy spanner, what a stupid place to put an oil fiter!.

The paper cartridge came out of the housing with a good pull, the clips are only there to stop it falling out when fitting.

20170716_092724.jpg

Back