ford focus air con

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted secondhand comp as old one was leaking and getting new o-ring here in Spain is a joke.Anyway.Re gassed system and all is good apart from a terrible chattering from the comp clutch.It's making and breaking at an alarming rate.This lasts for 20-30 secs then decreases to the odd chatter then nothing and the air con will run fine all day if not turned off.I've cleaned the clutch faces and checked the pressures and all is good.Please,any suggestions as my last bit of hair is about to go.

Sponsored Links
i had a similar problem with my ford galaxy compressor,it might be the actual clutch plate wearing on the spline hence the noise your hearing,i was lucky i got hold of another compressor and changed the clucth plate,
it might be worth googling your question to see if there have been other people suffering the same problem.

mmmmmmmmmm
whats the pressure readings when it makes the noise

Thanks for the replys.First off.I've replaced the clutch with the original which was perfect before the leak and very little used.The pressure was checked by the guy that regassed the system and I believe it was 40 at startup then settling at around 20 during normal running which was given pressure in the manual he had.It performs perfectly once the chattering stops and it is definitly the clutch making and breaking,not just rattling on it's splines.The guy that done the re-gass has years of experience with air-con so to cure the prob would make him feel a lot better because he's as baffled as I am and I know diddly squat about air-con.LOL.If anyone has an answer we would be eternally gratefull.Again many thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Weird - but suggest measure the voltage being applied to the clutch - if this is varying there is a bad connection/relay - may have disturbed something when changing the compressor. Do not know why the fault goes away though - maybe a heat effect?
MikeD

Back