Ford Focus Headlight Adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 52 plate Focus and the headlights need adjusting. There are two adjusting screws on each headlight and I can't work out what the are supposed to do. I have looked on many car and Ford forums but most of those who post just say they think the screws do X and Y and then give general suggestions about lining up your car 20ft from a wall etc.

The only thing I have worked out is that when you turn one of the adjusters you can hear the motor running on the dipped headlight load adjuster.

If anyone (preferably a Ford mechanic) can give me an accurate explanation of the purpose of the two adjusters, I will be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
have you used the levelling adjuster on the inside of the car???

the 2 adjusting screws,iirc will adjust up/down and left/right.
have a play,to get them where you think they should be,then pay a visit to your freindly garage to check alinment.

I have a later model with Xenons but the adjustment should be the same.
1 of the screws adjusts the light left to right and the other adjusts up and down.
It does take several turns before you notice the lights adjusting.

Face the car at a wall approx 20 metres away and adjust until the light hits the wall

Even when the in-car levelling adjuster is on 0 the lights are still dipped to much.

I know one is suposed to adjust the up/down and the other the left/right, but which is which? However, I have also read that there is no left/right adjustment; one screw adjust dipped up/down and the other adjusts main up/down. Which is correct?

I can turn both of them 20 -30 complete revolutions in either direction and it has absolutely no apparent effect.

I can find plenty of posts which tell me what someone thinks the screws do and how to adjust them. But no one can seems able to give me a definitive answer.

I also know how the headlights should be aligned: distance from wall, height of beam etc. So please don't tell me that.

Its just what the adjusters do and which way to turn, that I am interested in.

Sponsored Links
0 should be the setting for "normal" driving.
Where are the screws you are adjusting? Front of slam panel? If so, these arent the ones you need.
Look down through the top and you should see some white plastic screws. They're the ones you want

Well they're the ones you want.
Dunno why they're not adjusting though.

Sponsored Links
Back