Mondeo headlight plug rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just discovered my 2001 Ford Mondeo's headlight wiring is frayed and snapped so the headlight bulb is no longer connected.

Unfortunately this damage is immediately behind the plug that connects the incoming wires to the socket on the headlight assembly so the splice/solder/reinsulate option is a no-goer as there is no spare wire to play with.

Accordingly I think I need to rewire it - i.e. remove all the wires from the plug, snip off the damaged wire, strip back and rewire the plug.

The problem is I have no idea how this is done. There is no obvious way to release/reattach the wires from the plug - no screws, clips, or anything.

I'm not a natural car mechanic but I'm happy to have a crack at most things if it's not too complex and will save me money... I'm just concerned I'll make matters worse... But surely it can't be that hard. Do I need a special tool?

Can anyone help or advise, please?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but sadly not. They look like the plugs that attach to the back of the bulb itself. The plug I am talking about plugs into the back of the entire cluster - it carries about 8 separate wires for all the bulbs in the assembly. It's a black circular thing about 1" across. Unplugging it allows you to remove the entire cluster from the car.

Sponsored Links
I think I'd be heading for a breakers yard, aiming to get hold of a new plug, complete with a few inches of wire.
Its then a case of cutting the existing insulation away, and reconnecting each wire in turn using solder.
Each joint should be encased in heat shrink tubing - slid onto the wire before the joint is made, of course!
John :)

That's what I've been thinking. There is a pretty good breakers near me but I'm hoping to be able to avoid the eventuality... After all, it's only a bit of rewiring... How hard can it be?! ;)

Also had luck on E-Bay for the like, but sometimes postage can be expensive .............
And only 8 wires, happy days ............... :cool:

Back