Ford Focus noise when changing gear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have a mk2 focus that *occasionally* makes when heck of a clunk when changing gear, I think from 1st to 2nd. I've heard that this could be an engine mount that needs replacing, particularly the "dog bone" mount. Thing is, where is this mount? Is it likely to be something like this that makes the noise? It's like a clunk/bang that sounds like the exhaust has fallen off, but only tends to do it when I'm accelerating out of a junction and changing gear quickly. TIA.

Sponsored Links
It's a bar, with a rubber bushed eye at each end, one eye bolts to chassis, the other to the engine and probably underneath the engine. Look closely at the rubber for stress and splits. What it does, is prevent the engine rocking too far, when the amount of torque varies as load is applied and taken off.

Hi everyone, I have a mk2 focus that *occasionally* makes when heck of a clunk when changing gear, I think from 1st to 2nd. I've heard that this could be an engine mount that needs replacing, particularly the "dog bone" mount. Thing is, where is this mount? Is it likely to be something like this that makes the noise? It's like a clunk/bang that sounds like the exhaust has fallen off, but only tends to do it when I'm accelerating out of a junction and changing gear quickly. TIA.
Pretty easy to do.

Sponsored Links
Where would you get a replacement for this?
Check out

febi bilstein 43721 Engine Mounting, pack of one​

on Amazon. Check that it is the right one for your car.

Maybe even euro car parts. Give them your registration number and they should give you the correct part. Main dealers will be the most expensive I would imagine.

Get the front of the car safely up on axle stands, and get someone to rock the engine from the top as you look and listen at the dog bone underneath......excess wear is obvious.
Get a quality replacement from a motor factor, such as febi/ bilstein (Blueprint) and ignore First Line products!
John

20220711_112631.jpg

Attachments

• 20220711_112647.jpg
    20220711_112647.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 37
Finally got it off when changing the oil. The noise only ever happens when changing from 1st to 2nd. Do you think this needs replacing?

It looks OK in the photos, but to be sure - clamp the body in a vice and insert a large lever/screwdriver through the hole in the centre of the bush. Try levering it in various directions, to see if any splits open up in the rubber. Any splits then fit a new one.

Sponsored Links
Back