ford focus possible egr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys i wonder if any of you can help me, i`ve got a ford focus 1.8 tdci 53 plate, the motor seems to have lost a bit of power and sometimes the revs shoot up but the car doesn`t seem to move, then the revs drop down to about 2500 rpm, then it`ll pick up again, sometimes it`ll judder, and sometimes the revs on the wayup is very gradule, i took it to a garage, non-main dealer, and he plugged his machine in to read the fault codes and it came back with a egr fault, now my egr on this model is part of the inlet manifold sitting on top, so i`ve taken my inlet manifold off, and cleaned it out as it was really gunked up and i thought it may have been jamed open a bit or not be able to close, came up really clean with a bit of carb cleaner, and i put a bit of vacuum pipe on the egr connector and sucked on the pipe to make sure the egr was opening, which it did, so i`m happy that the egr is working, however when i put it back the problem is still there, however when the engine is running if i follow the vacuum pipes back to two valves on with a green electrical connector and one with a black electrical connector, and they seem to be making funny noises, i`ve check for power at the connectors and that seems fine, so i was wondering if these valves are failing to supply enough vacuum to open the egr, thus producing the egr fault, rather than replace the inlet manifold and still having the same fault, also when i disconnect the vacuum pipe from the egr valve the noise from the black and green valves stops, and on tick over the egr vacuum pipe seems to be blowing, and then on reving the engine seems to suck, long winded i know but any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Lee.......

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
no clutch definatly not slipping, i can pull off with a wheel spin, then when i get traction the revs will go up to about 3000 rpm and just stop, then continue up, thats on a good day, other times is when all the other problems occur, does anyone know what the two valves on the cam cover with the green and black electrical connectors are, to me they look as if they take vacuum from the pump and allow vacuum to the egr when the ecu tells it, it needs it, which is why i`m thinking these are the problem, because if these aren`t supplying the egr with vacuum the egr wouldn`t work, but i proved the egr is working as it wouldn`t have opened when i sucked on the vacuum pipe, but if these green and black valves werern`t working the egr wouldn`t open and this would bring up a egr fault code. anyone else think this is good logic.

Back