saab 93 2.2 tid 2002

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fault code thats come up saying egr valve. the symptoms are lots of black smoke through every gear and sometimes a bit of a splutter or flat spot when at a steady speed, and now and again it goes into limp mode, but if i stop and start again its ok. I have had egr valve off and manifold it was really sooted up. so i cleaned it all up and mechanically it works fine, put it back on nut there is no difference. it seems like its running very rich , and im getting about 31 mpg. garage told me egr valve but thats easy for them to say that and when thats not it , it must be something else. i want to try all other avenues first before i have to start spending stupid money for these parts.Anyone help please.[/b]

Sponsored Links
I have to concur, the EGR valve is very prone to problems on these, together with the turbo, to a lesser extent. You may also find a lot of gunge in the intercooler.
John :)

A split intercooler will give you lots of black smoke and rubbish fuel economy but you should be able to hear a change in engine noise if it's gone.

Sponsored Links
althought the egr valve may look clean and move freely if its electrically operated the servo motor could have failed

found out it was a hole in the intercooler. replaced with new one, took about 2hrs diy. jobs a good un.

Back