Ford Focus stability control light permanently on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's the symbol of a car with skid marks behind. It was off when I parked at work and on when I started up at home time and has been on ever since.

The manual says contact a Ford technician. I can't notice any difference in the handling and am hoping to get it to Fords next week.

Any idea if it is safe to drive or what the cause may be?

Sponsored Links
As you don't state the vehicle history, I presume it's a newer vehicle? So to reset the ECU might reset the code? Pull the main fuse, or disconnect the battery negative terminal, to reset code?

Sponsored Links
Where is that?

Took the battery off for a few minutes but was still there.

wheel speed sensor may need cleaning or replacing, quite easy to clean.

If the battery is disconnected, would the speed sensor problem still register, if the vehicle hadn't moved? I suppose if it was s/c?

The speed sensor is fitted to all 4 wheels, and detects when you lock up, to activate the ABS, so as a test, go somewhere with no traffic, and slam your brakes on, and see if ABS works.

The sensors are normally damaged when having a wheel changed, as the wire coming from the top of them is bent over. They use a disk, and optical sensor, like the rollers in a computer mouse, but 9/10 it's the wire to the sensor that breaks, and not the sensor itself, unless you have driven through a ploughed field recently, and the sensor is caked in mud?

It may be a false alert, and all Ford will do is reset the ABS computer, and charge you for the right! Keep a record of what they do, incase the problem returns.

But I'm not sure a warning light with skid marks, is the abs system?

Back