Ford Focus Struggling to Start When Turning Key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I drive a 2000 Ford Focus 1.4L Zetec model. I have an issue when it comes to starting my enginer. If I turn the key to start the engine, the engine only starts when I have my foot on the accelerator revving the car. If I dont do this, the car will start for a second and cut out. I have my NCT coming up soon and would like to sort this problem before hand.

Would anyone know where to start? Could it be a fault with one of my sensors? Or it could it be a problem wit my fuel pump? I found in the past that when it came to problems with the sensors, usually spraying them with electrical contact cleaner would fix the problem. If this is the case then it will make life much easier.

I used to have a problem that my car used to idle rough when stopped in traffic and I would have to keep revving the car every now and again to stop it from cutting out. I cleaned the MAF sensor and this sorted this problem. I wonder if the MAF sensor is the problem too when starting the engine? Maybe I didn't clean it properly or maybe I need to replace it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steven

Sponsored Links
Back