Ford Mondeo - Wheel Lock and Slide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was driving yesterday at 40mph in moderately wet conditions with small amounts of surface water, braked to take a left turn: the four wheels locked and car went into an uncontrollable slide, rotating 90 degrees etc....
Got it under control and continued driving - thankfully not another road user around a the time.

Is this just something that can happen to anyone once every five years or so, or is it indicative of imminent mechanical failure or a fault with the vehicle?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If its got ABS i'd be sending it into a garage for a check over

yep turning and braking dont go together! are you shure all 4 wheels actually locked up and didnt just brake traction as a result of cornering + the extra load of braking?

test your car doesnt lock up in a straight line and that the ABS kicks in (check mirror first).

abs does in some ways allow more control and cornering when braking but there is still limits.

I would go and check how slippy the road was (could have been a diesel spill?). and find lots of space and try and recreate the event (just for the fun if nothing else).

Look at your tyre tread

And try to remember to take road conditions into account when driving. Lucky you weren't approaching a zebra crossing full of people.

Was it an ordinary saloon car, or something unstable like a 4x4?
(edited - I see - a Mondeo. Looks like the forces just exceeded the grip of the tyres then)

Sponsored Links
I agrre with sm1thson, diesel on wet road is very dangerous. I think you should find a dry and quiet road and try stopping several times from say 30mph at increasing pressures until you get wheel lock (if you lock a wheel let off quickly), this will tell you if you have any braking problems.
hope this helps johnwr

johnwr said:
I agrre with sm1thson, diesel on wet road is very dangerous. I think you should find a dry and quiet road and try stopping several times from say 30mph at increasing pressures until you get wheel lock (if you lock a wheel let off quickly), this will tell you if you have any braking problems.
hope this helps johnwr
I would second that

The same happened to me , but turning right, with slightly wet conditions.
The car locked up and slid uncontrollably towards a cliff edge. Luckily I hit the kerb witch stopped me .
Not happy with the handling at all. It was at 40 mph also ....[/quote]

Back