Ford taunus not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone on hear can help me
I posted last year about my river boat with a Ford taunus engine
With some helpful advice on hear the boat is now done and the engine has been running like a dream
Well until now ...
I recently went out on a trip on the river with no problems whatsoever
After about 3 hours I tried to start the engine again but nothing I have been checking everything I know how to do I have a spark. I have fuel it cranks as it should but nothing it will not even fire
I have put quick start in the air intake and fuel in the air intake but still nothing
I had the rocker cover off and the rockers are all moving as they should
Now im at a standstill so any advice would be appreciated
Now and then I do hear a little pop from the carb but that's it
Could this be a faulty coil not delivering a strong spark ?

Sponsored Links
Are the plugs wet with unburnt fuel? Have you got points and condenser ignition? Sometimes a dodgy condenser can make the spark too weak to ignite the mixture under compression.

Hi
Thanks for that reply yes it is points and condenser I have been using one of those plug on type things that light up to show I'm getting a spark I did also remove the plugs to check and there is a spark there but with my limited knowledge i dont know if this is a strong spark or not ?
I tried easy start and also put a little fuel direct in the top of the carb so I'm guessing this proves it's not a fuel issue ? But although it turns over as normal it won't fire not even a cough
I have no idea about what parts to get as it's an old taunus engine as far as i havd been told with the cooling system converted for use in a boat so i have no details to identify parts
Are all condenser the same ? Should I also suspect the coil ?
Thanks in advance for any advice

A spark at a plug in the open needs less power than a spark under compression. You'll need the right type condensor, probably Bosch although you could mount one externally. Coils are a bit easier ,depends if you have a ballast resistor or not. People do say modern condensors aren't much good so is there any chance of fitting electronic ignition? Let's see a photo of the engine and distributor.

Sponsored Links
If your battery voltage is low, the spark strength could be seriously reduced. ....can you couple up another battery?
John (bobbing around in the Mediterranean just now, with a hopeless signal ) :)

"bobbing around in the Mediterranean just now "

Ah, I bet you wish you were back in Cumbria, on your back and changing someone's sump gasket and not being troubled by a pesky hostess to top up your wine-glass every 20 minutes !

20180612_181714.jpg
20180612_182517.jpg 20180612_182838.jpg 20180612_181700.jpg 20180612_181714.jpg Just got back from the boat
Anyone have any idea what parts I need ?

Engine looks similar to a Ford pre cross flow and distributor is I think a Motorcraft, Ford's own make, There are 2 types of points , depending on which way the shaft turns . Condenser would be the same. Have a look on EBay for parts for Ford classic cars, Motorcraft points and condensers.

With the new points in, slowly rotate the engine using a spanner on the crank nut or whatever and set the gap to 15 thou. Apply a spot of grease to the cam to keep it that way. With the rotor arm in place you should be able to rotate the cam a few degrees because of the advance / ****** mechanism below. A drop or two of oil on that felt pad lubricates this.
John :)

If I remember correctly, there were three different types of distributor in old British Fords. As yours is a German Ford it narrows it down to two; Ford or Bosch. The Bosch points gap on Bosch distributors was 20 thou and if it was a ford distributor the gap was 25 thou.
Generally, Ford distributors had a black cap and Bosch had a red cap. Looking at yours, I'd say that it is a Ford distributor.

Yes, it's one of Ford's own dizzies. Motorcraft was the name they used, previously Autolite. 25 thou gap. I think the different rotations were between OHV and OHC (Pinto) engines.

Do check the rotor arm condition, and check the carbon brush is still in position in the centre of the distributor cap.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back