Ford Taunus fuel system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a ford taunus engine I think it's a 1500cc fitted in a boat I'm looking for some information on the fuel system as I'm currently in the process of building a new petrol tank
The engine has a manual fuel pump on the side of the block and the fuel tank will be mounted at around the same height as the engine what I want to know is will the pump suck the fuel from the tank or will it need to be primed ?
So should I take the fuel line from the bottom of the tank (gravity) or will it be ok to have the fuel outlet pipe on the top of the tank with a dip tube inside ? If the latter will it prime itself ?
And I can't see a fuel return pipe on the pump ? Is this normal ?
Any advice appreciated please

Sponsored Links
I recall a thread a while ago about a Ford Taunus engine in a boat- same one? The pump will self prime and you can have your dip tube at the top if you wish. A return pipe probably wasn't needed in the engine's original installation , normally only fitted if the engine runs hot and the fuel might vapourise. Why not fit an electric pump, it will prime quicker and start faster after a lay up.

Previous post was about carburettor problems if my memory serves me right.

Sponsored Links
Yes my last post was about carb / idle problems I ended up stripping the carb with the help of some online information some of the parts had a powdery substance blocking them so it's now all cleaned and waiting to go back on so it's just fingers crossed it's going to be ok but I have been spending most of my time stripping out the boat ready for painting and now making a fuel tank to fit under one of the rear seats,
Some of the system has been played about with by the previous owner so I'm trying to get it back to something sensible it had a mix of difrent size fuel lines so what size would be standard the bit from the old tank was 6mm is this about right ?
I'm not finding it easy finding any service information online so I appreciate the input I'm getting on hear
I will post some more pictures when I have fitted the new tank

A 6mm supply will be just fine for a 1500cc motor, hopefully you still have the unions to connect to the tank and pump? I'd guess you'd need to keep the pipe metal for as long as possible for any fire risk.....however, copper pipes don't like vibration!
The standard lift pump will be fine so long as the tank is not too much lower than the engine, and the run of the pipe isn't too long. Can you include an in line filter, positioned so its easy to change?
John :)

The tank will sit around the same level as the engine in a adjacent compartment, the tank I'm building from scratch so I will be looking for some fittings to create the top fitting and dip tube ? (And fuel tap)
I have also ordered a sender unit for the tank.
And loads of room around the engine for a inline filter
Thanks for all the information

Don't you need the tank a bit lower than the engine to prevent flooding/syphonage/whatever? There have been cars in the past with the tank above the engine so it must be feasible though.

You could be right but it's not easy in a boat the engine is only around 10 inch from the bottom of the bilge
The bottom tank is on about the same level as the pump and the top of the tank will be about 8inch lower than the carb I will be fitting a fuel shutoff valve on the top of the fuel pickup tube so I can shut off the supply when I'm away from the boat

IMG_1399.JPG
My petrol tank is taking shape the filler tube is welded on and the flange for the sender guage I'm just having trouble finding how to fit a fuel take off tube ?
I was thinking of using some 8mm brass plumbing fittings with some 8mm microbore copper tube it can't find a connector to go trough the tank
Any ideas please ?

Just one last thought I have the option of attaching a fitting to the threaded hole where the original valve was in the end of the tank this would now be at the half way point as the tank is mounted on its side and obviously still with a short dip tube to reach the bottom of the tank
Is there any reason not to do it this way ?

Your tank idea is fine John.....allow for a vent, of course!
It's not very big though - 10 litres maybe? Is that big enough for you?
John :)

Maybe the picture is deceiving I have estimated that the bottle I used holds just over 30L
Next time I'm in the workshop I will fill it with water and check ?
For a vent I will just tap in a hose tail in the top of the tank maybe in the lower part of the filling tube and this will be piped to a small fitting in the side of the boat
All I need to do now then is to find a fitting to go from 3/4" to 8mm for a fuel tap

I have managed to get a brass 3/4 screw fitting to fit my tank with a reducer to take it down to the 8mm needed
When I fit this what should I use to seal the thread?
Is normal plumbing ptfe tape suitable to use with petrol ?

Sponsored Links
Back