Ford taunus not starting

If you're sure you've got a good spark at the right time and compression,that only leaves fuel and I'd be inclined to clean out the carb. You must have water in the carb if fuel is the reason your engine won't start.
What make of carb have you got ? I don't recognise it.

Sponsored Links
If that's a pull down I see, maybe its similar to a Weber DCD......Vauxhall used a clone on the Mk 1 Cavalier, with electrical auto choke. Ghastly thing!
John, when you have the plugs out, crank the engine to see if any fuel sprays out?
John :)

Sponsored Links
At last it starts
Ok so with all the advice and after trying everything it's running again
I was down there last night after work I took the fuel lines off and drained about a pint of fuel from the tank outlet pipe and also put some fuel in the spark plug holes also put some easy start in the carb
I had a fire more easy start and another fire etc it took a while for the pump to get the fuel to the carb but it started to run
I'm still not sure why it's now running but at least it's running
I just need to set the distributor timing properly but due to the way the engine mounts are fitted i cant get to the timing marks on the pully to use a strobe so if i rotate the distributor by hand with the engine running how do i know its right ?
Thanks to everyone on hear who has offered advice so far

Oh and the carb is a Rochester 2 jet.

A time for great rejoicing!
Very difficult to set the timing without seeing the marks.....is it possible to transfer the marks onto the flywheel (there may be marks already there)?
One method that does sort of work is to get the engine running smoothly then rotate the distributor one way until the engine starts to falter, then swing it the other and eventually find the mid point......you do risk detonation, running on and overheating if its not right though.
Wondering if your fuel pump is letting petrol return to the tank, rather than holding it ready in the pump chamber - is the fuel line a long run?

The fuel line is around 1.5m to the pump then just under a metre to the carb ?
Is it possible to swap for a electric fuel pump ? If so what type and do I then just leave the old one in place ?
But for now I'm just happy it's running
I'm down again at the weekend and I will give it a good run to charge up the battery and make sure it runs on when up to temperature etc
I still think if may have had water in the system somewhere so will also check the tank properly
Thanks again for all the advice

Your fuel pipe run isn't excessive, and you can convert to a low pressure fuel pump of you want.
Scratching the memory cell here, but a pump with an output of around 4 to 5 psi would be about right.
Nothing wrong with a good functioning mechanical pump though, but if you want to replace it's best to remove it and blank off the locating hole.
The best bit with an electric pump is that you build up pressure before trying to start, of course.

The carb that was on the Cavalier was a Solex. Most VW's of that era and lots of other European manufacturers used Solex carbs too. Unlike the Weber the second choke on the Solex was vacuum operated, i.e. it wouldn't open until you loaded up the engine.

Sponsored Links
Back