Anglia 105E fuel pump

Seem to remember the spring was a different length mini and morris minor, mini had more push and less suck than morris minor, the rest of the SU pump was the same.

Also seem to remember you had to push the diagram before tightening the 6 screws or it would damage it, other house I have Lucas workshop manual not sure if fuel pump is in it.

Seem to remember ford fuel pump also had a vacuum pump for windscreen wipers.

Sponsored Links
Going back to my earlier days.

Mechanical pumps were mounted on the block/camshaft driven for long pull, short push.

Electric pumps were rear mounted, short pull, long push

Electric pumps were rear mounted, short pull, long push

That was certainly true on Mini's but I seem to recall that Morris Minors had the pump in the engine bay so were long pull, short push.

That was certainly true on Mini's but I seem to recall that Morris Minors had the pump in the engine bay so were long pull, short push.

Obviously there may have been more than 1 choice/setup.

But from my memory banks the Minor had a choice of electric or manual pump depending on its age/version.

Quite sure the electric pump was rear mounted, and a real pig to get to.

Sponsored Links
Did this ever get resolved?
The Mini had several types of pump. Mk1 and 2 had an electric one low pressure one fixed on the rear subframe. Mk3-5 had crank driven version but no hand priming mechanism. Later Minis with the 1.3i engine (single or multi point injection) had an electric high pressure pump.
The Minor I have is 1968 and has the electric one on the dash but I don't know about earlier versions.

If the Anglia engine has a crank driven pump it's more than likely an 'AC' manufactured unit in which case you need to find a similar pump with the same fixing plate shape and crank arm 'throw' that has the manual priming arm. (I have Mk1 pump in my GT6 Mk3 just so that I can prime it for regular winter warm ups when the carbs will have dried out - normally it would just run off the crank when turning over).
If you can't get a short enough thrown there are distance pieces usually to be found in service kits depending on the vehicle manufacturer's choice or you can make them out of thick gasket material, aluminium, steel or heat resistant plastic. Don't be tempted to try a longer throw versionto get more fuel flow as it will just bend the fuel pump lever and you'll be back to square#1 replacing it.

Just a thought, we had a fleet of Lada Niva's where I worked, and there was a regular fault with them, the non return valve in the fuel pump would get stuck and it would keep running but not restart, you could take the cover off, and just touch the valve and it would click back and work OK, often did not even have to take top off, just hit it with handle of screwdriver.

Seem to remember many fuel pumps you could get a kit which included new valves.

Sponsored Links
Back