Foreign Aid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been reading up on the Governments plans to increase Foreign Aid to other countries by 34% -- to £12 Billion . That is 12 THOUSAND MILLION POUNDS :eek: .
I always thought Charity started at home .

India is to get its annual large slice of the dosh- as usual-- despite them kyboshing the deal to buy British Eurofighter planes- Prefering to buy French planes instead .

Usual African countries get a big slice of the action too- . More dosh for the people in control in those countries to feather their own nests .

Is there anyone who believes that all this foreign aid is a good thing ?.

Sponsored Links
It's nothing to do with giving aid - but buying influence.

It's just the dirty world of international politics at work.

Sponsored Links

It used to work that way but now we are being snubbed as in the Indian contract given to the french....as for the african aid , it does not go near the ones who need it

It used to work that way but now we are being snubbed as in the Indian contract given to the french....as for the african aid , it does not go near the ones who need it

Very true.
It wouldnt be so bad --but for the fact- we gave the indies their country back--just like they wanted -- and yet we still keep subsidising them-despite their rejection of our eurofighter bid .
Wonder what amount of bribe/Aid money the French send over there !!??

You're having a laugh aren't you ?????

So if i help a bloke up that has fallen or is struggling He has to buy something i'm selling ??????

What sort of aid is that then ?????

Aid is about giving isn't it ???

So all the tidal wave victims in Phuket that we chipped in for have to now buy something English/British huh ? Or what ?

I would hope we are giving aid for the right reasons. To save lives. To lessen hardship and suffering. Not so people will buy our latest high tech killing machine.

India should look to the higher caste to give more to help the suffering of the sick and poverty stricken in it's own country. Rather than stand there, their heads turned away, and arms wrapped protectively around their fortune.

You're having a laugh aren't you ?????

So if i help a bloke up that has fallen or is struggling He has to buy something i'm selling ??????

What sort of aid is that then ?????

Aid is about giving isn't it ???

So all the tidal wave victims in Phuket that we chipped in for have to now buy something English/British huh ? Or what ?

I would hope we are giving aid for the right reasons. To save lives. To lessen hardship and suffering. Not so people will buy our latest high tech killing machine.

India should look to the higher caste to give more to help the suffering of the sick and poverty stricken in it's own country. Rather than stand there, their heads turned away, and arms wrapped protectively around their fortune.

I'm not laughing.
You want to stop being so dramatic and selective .

I'm all for helping others-- but I believe helping people in this country comes first- every time.

My argument is that the goverment decides to spent our tax payments on foreign aid-and ignores people at home who need real help.

Aiding others overseas should be voluntary and if you feel so strongly about it-- why not make a regular contribution each time you get a pay cheque ?.

Do you honestly think for 1 minute- that if ever a disaster hit our shores that overseas countries would get their hands in their pockets and help us out ?.
UK is a soft touch and always will be, because the people who donate the aid money are only ever using OPM !!
Other Peoples Money .
Lots of the countries that our aid goes to are richer than UK.
We have not got a Space program- like India has .

Nowt wrong with voluntary donations collected through charities, but the Foreign Aid provided by UK governments should stop. Full Stop. India receive £Billions in aid, yet have nuclear weapons, a space program etc. Yet a vast majority of their population, live in abject poverty.
Let the Indian Government put their own house in order before another penny of Aid comes from the UK
India's richest person is 19th on the Forbes List of Billionaires. Let him part with some of his money. ;) ;)

Nowt wrong with voluntary donations collected through charities, but the Foreign Aid provided by UK governments should stop. Full Stop. India receive £Billions in aid, yet have nuclear weapons, a space program etc. Yet a vast majority of their population, live in abject poverty.
Let the Indian Government put their own house in order before another penny of Aid comes from the UK
India's richest person is 19th on the Forbes List of Billionaires. Let him part with some of his money. ;) ;)

AT LAST- some sense on this subject.

Hey peterperfic......touche you little selective drama queen....lol

Aid is aid. Not an excuse to nip in when the chips are down so that we can profit later. That would surely be called 'opportunism'. I think you seem a little mixed up here.

Other countries give aid too. Don't be so ignorant as to think that we are the only country in the world that does.....jeeeez

How do we 'know' that other countries wont send aid if the rich bastads take all their money abroad as we often told they will if we squeeze them too much (poor little things).

Hey peterperfic......touche you little selective drama queen....lol

Aid is aid. Not an excuse to nip in when the chips are down so that we can profit later. That would surely be called 'opportunism'. I think you seem a little mixed up here.

Other countries give aid too. Don't be so ignorant as to think that we are the only country in the world that does.....jeeeez

How do we 'know' that other countries wont send aid if the rich bastads take all their money abroad as we often told they will if we squeeze them too much (poor little things).
Rich bastads huh ? taking their money abroad ?.
You mean like that rich barsteward Mittall guy- richest man in India with £51 billion.
He just happens to live in London !!!!!

Charity does not start at home for him obviously.

I wonder if we are giving lots of aid to India so that the whole indian populace don't all come over here with their 20 children and live the life of relative luxury on the dole ? There used to be a queue of 500,000 people waiting to emigrate to England...that was in the early 80's i think. I would think that has gone up now.
I don't know. If they really do have a nuclear bomb and they do have the 19th richest person in the world then it seems wrong. But jeeeez man i watched a programme about Indian kids that had been deliberately disabled by their parents so they would get more money when begging. I wish i hadn't watched it. But i did. It was too late to not feel anything once i had seen it.
Where do you draw the line ? How big or small do you make your world ? Should we only care about certain people ? Should we turn away from others ?
I do donate a monthly sum to a couple of charities. But how do you not donate to others ?
I'm sorry I seem to have taken this topic very seriously. I'm sure some of the money our govt gives does get mispent. But am i wrong to hope with all my heart that some of it gets through to help people with lives far worse than ours ?

Sponsored Links
Back