Forgetful

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Q: Is couple singular or plural?
A. It can be singular or plural, depending on the context. In a wedding announcement, use "the couple is" because the couple is thought of as a unit.
A unit? Really?

In my book a shower is a unit. Also an external CD writer. Or perhaps a drinks cabinet. But a married couple? - I still maintain that "a couple" is slang for "a couple of people".

Maybe we should email Lynne Truss? :LOL:

There's more :)

"But unlike other collective nouns, couple should take a plural verb far more often than a singular one. The plural construction is also far more convenient because it eliminates the need to find a suitable pronoun."
Tends towards your take. As does:

Do not, in any event, slavishly give all singular collective nouns singular verbs: The couple have a baby boy is preferable to The couple has a baby boy.Indeed, in general, treat both a pair and a couple as plural.
But that means that the pair of underpants were...

And:
When used to refer to two people who function socially as a unit, as in a married couple, the word couple may take either a singular or a plural verb, depending on whether the members are considered individually or collectively: The couple were married last week. Only one couple was left on the dance floor. When a pronoun follows, they and their are more common than it and its: The couple decided to spend their (less commonly its) vacation in Florida. Using a singular verb and a plural pronoun, as in The couple wants their children to go to college, is widely considered to be incorrect. Care should be taken that the verb and pronoun agree in number: The couple want their children to go to college.
So, from this, the grammar in the joke (for that is what started all of this!) seems to be incorrect.

You win!! Apart from the underpants, though :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Maybe we should email Lynne Truss?
Without Googling, I don't know who Lynne Truss is. :oops:

Do not, in any event, slavishly give all singular collective nouns singular verbs: The couple have a baby boy is preferable to The couple has a baby boy.
Quite so, but I still maintain that "a couple" doesn't indicate a singular noun.

Indeed, in general, treat both a pair and a couple as plural.
This is misleading, because "pair" has two usages:

"A pair of apples" is exactly two applies.

"A pair of scissors" is not two scissorses, because in this usage the word "pair" is [bizarrely] part of the name of the thing, as it is with a pair of underpants, or shorts, or trousers...

But that means that the pair of underpants were...
No.

This be she. I would have thought that her tomes would have pride of place on your bookshelves!

Not yet, but I might try one.

However, it doesn't bode well, because at first glance her subject matter is as interesting as this site, and she has a touch of the That's Life! about her. :(

You see this is what is so wrong with this country, its sites like this that take all the focus away from the plight of more deserving causes such as the fullstop which in my opinion has been declining far more than any other punctuation marks. And here's another one for good measure . oh to hell with it .............................................................................
...................................................................................................
There i've done it and i'm not ashamed of having done so either!....

"A pair of apples" is exactly two applies.

Applies to what?..bad spelling?

So whats a pair of tits?...two tits or four?

I was refering to birds for god sake!

Bloody Nanny state we live in!

Well..it was worth a try.. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back