Forgot to use knot sealer or primer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupid, I know. :oops:

It's a bare, pine door to which I applied one coat of undercoat (I didn't have any primer to hand, but lots of undercoat). It was my intention to apply a second coat, then gloss, but after the first undercoat dried I noticed the knots.

Should I just continue as planned? Or would it be worth applying a block of some sort before proceeding?

Sponsored Links
Yes, get some knotting and paint over the knots before you carry on. If you don't the knots will show up, even if you can't see them at first, they will show up eventually. You should've used primer tho.

Oh, I always use an old or disposable brush because it's horrible stuff to wash out :)

I wasn't sure knot sealer would work on top of undercoat; I thought it had to be applied directly to the bare, unpainted, knots?

Nah, should be fine. Ideal situation is for bare wood, but I've used knotting over the top of finished doors tons of times - for example, the house am in now they never used knotting anywhere. I put some on under the new undercoat & top coats and worked without any problems - nothing showing 2 years later.

Sponsored Links
You could also use bin because its basically pigmented shellac. Pet hate of mine, i can understand diyers forgetting but its amazing the amount of recently built houses i see with big brown stains everywhere, takes no time at all to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back