former backboiler cavity

8 Oct 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom

recently had the old backboiler ripped out (had the boiler and a gas heater/radiator part) from the lounge. It left behind a 45 x 72 cm gap in the sandstone coloured rugged surface decorative brickwork that covers the lower part of lounge wall. The right edge is smooth, the left edge has up to 1.5 cm variations as the rugged ends of the decorative bricks are there.

Now I'm a bit of a DIY novice and may end up on DIY Disasters on some TV channel... but... One thought I had (good or bad) was to go for something not permanent (so can be altered/removed for later redecoration without copious amounts of nuclear blasts...).

So would put a wood frame in the hole, with a vertical middle bit - then use two plasterboard panels, adjust them until reasonably match right and left edge, then join the middle (and have two small airvents in the bottom). One single panel would be a nightmare to fit and manipulate in that irregularly edge cavity with no access behind the board.

So the questions (apart from is all above insane?) would be:

- would feather edge plasterboard, with those edges in the middle be easier? and since it's small chunk, may get away with not so elaborate joining - would even Polyfilla work?

- possibly sand coloured textured paint could hide the joining imperfections ? haven't used latter but I imagine it is thick lumpy stuff that can be applied in a pretty 'random' fashion :)

- the rugged edge meeting the the plasterboard: any recommendation what to use as filler? again Polyfilla would be suitable enough? it's would be a 72 cm long vertical section and well, as long as it doesn't start cracking like mad... should be fine?

Many thanks for any thoughts (clearly other alternative is going for brickwork, which is then quite heavier adventure with more mess).
Sponsored Links
Put a 2x2 frame together, to match aperture, fit and screw or gripfill into place. Use one piece of plaster board [lots of measuring] cut with stanley or hand saw, trim with said stanley. Mark out and cut for vent, screw into place, gun around edges with decorator caulk, fit vent, jobs done.
sounds excellent and doable even with my skills - indeed lots of measuring :)
Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links