Formica kithen worktop edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The edging strip has never been glued to the side of my kitchen worktop. Thing is, the strip is too wide and long for the section I want to cover.

Please can somebody tell me how to cut it. The strip is quite thick and I wouldnt know how to cut it straight, especially as its the length I need is 58cms x 4cms. Also I cant go wrong as I only have one piece!!

Help. It has been missing since the kitchen was fitted 2 years ago and I really want to stick it on. It seems so easy but I dont know how.

Help!! Many thanks. Laura

Sponsored Links
I would try to trim the strip to be within a mm or two of the finished size before sticking it on.
You could do this with a metal hacksaw or file.
You need to make sure the strip is really well supported before you do this so it can't flex and chip easily, so it might be that you "sandwich" it between two bits of wood that are clamped together, with just the edge you want to trim sticking out.
Always file/saw into the visible side, any small chips will then be on the hidden side.
When it's about the right size, use contact glue to stick it on. This is where the glue gets coated onto both surfaces, allowed to dry and then the strip is carefully placed in position. If you position it wrong, you probably won't get it off again successfully.
The glue will also help prevent water getting into the worktop edge, which is very important.
Press on firmly, leave for a few hours, then use a file to take of the final bit.
Good luck.

Hi Laura,

If I'm on the right track - it's gluable strip?

If so, put some strong glue on it, fix to edge, over lapping the edges - but cut to length.

Put a piece of paper over the good side and gently iron it on a medium heat for say 30 secs moving it along as you iron.

Let it go off - say a few hours then trim the excess off with a stanley knife being careful.
if the over lap is alot cut that off first with a steady hand and a hacksaw

Hth

Stick it on with an impact adhesive like Evostik Impact, make sure top is flush with the top of worktop and just shave off bottom CAREFULLY with a new blade in stanley type knife until desired size is achieved. Same for front edge of worktop, if it is shaped then carefully trim round it with a knife taking off small amounts at a time.

Sponsored Links
It will need sanding on the edges with a v fine sand paper to avoid catching on clothes.

Fantastic advice. I will buy the glue and a new Stanley knife and have a go tomorrow. Thank you very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back