Worktop. Corner butt joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a worktop for a neighbour today as part of fitting a used kitchen on a tight budget.
He has picked up some suitable worktop off cuts.

Worktop is 22mm square edge. There will be a corner joint.
The fact it is square edge, does it need a joining strip?
He also got some end trim, so I am thinking to trim the cut edge and just butt with a plate or two underneath to hold the two together.

He has almost no tools. I do not have a router.
Don't think getting a pro in to do a proper mitre joint will be an option.

Any tip or better ways of doing this please?

Sponsored Links
Square edge can be butted together so no mitre required.Circular saw and sander should give good enough cut you can secure together with glue and metal strap below to hold tight.

I recently extentened a timber worktop and ran a matching return to the floor at the end of the run.

I used worktop connector bolts to extend the worktop (and biscuits), but you don't have the requisite tools. For the return to the floor, I used cam bolts

All that is needed is a drill and the correct sized drill bits. I did however buy a 15mm bosch brad point drill bit, currently available for £3.09. I tried to use a 15mm spade bit but the hole was not tight enough.

I had to use scraps of timber to workout the optimum distance for the 15mm hole from the edge. An advantage of the cam dowels is that they will help to pull the worktops together. You can then use your plate or straps under it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the replies :)

I may have some cam dowels. In the 'might come in handy one day kit'.
I do have some forstner bits. Not sure if any the right size.

The join is over a corner cupboard and I probably have room to fix a couple of blocks or brackets to clamp the joint together while it sets.

Found a couple of youtubes.
They show stripping the laminate off of the front edge so you glue chipboard to chipboard.
One of them used silicon to 'glue' them together.

1930s. Nothing is square.
Have had to put a slight angle on the end of the worktop.
Very much DIY and pleased with how it's looking so far.
Measured everything 4 or 5 times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back