Worktop mitre joints without bolts...

Sponsored Links
Is it not a square edge worktop? Not seen rolled edge for a few years.
Don't know yet, though I assume that they are square edged. Pleased to report that I'm going there today to do the job with a jigsaw and worktop edging strips.

We had square edged worktops in our previous kitchen and yes, we had problems with the top edge coming adrift in the sink area. However, the worst issue was the multitude of scratches that appeared on the high gloss finish just days after I installed them.

Better cut by hand than with a jigsaw.
It takes less than 2 minutes with a sharp saw and the cut is a lot more precise.
Irwins hand saws are always on sale at major builders merchants for less than a tenner.
Use masking tape to mark the cut so you can see where you're going without problems.

My local b@q only have square edge.

They definitely still sell them.

Regardless, even with square edge laminate, you can not butt them up together.

Sponsored Links
They definitely still sell them.

Regardless, even with square edge laminate, you can not butt them up together.
Yes you can.

Yes you can.

Ok, yeah you can butt up square edge laminate, but it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Where the front face meets the top edge, there is a chamfer. You need to remove the front face laminate over the section where the two boards meet.

eg

Ok, yeah you can butt up square edge laminate, but it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Where the front face meets the top edge, there is a chamfer. You need to remove the front face laminate over the section where the two boards meet.

eg
Yes , so it’s possible .

Yes , so it’s possible .

Indeed it is but any DIYer reading your initial post is likely to assume that you were suggesting that you could just remove the polythene covering and butt them up.

Thanks for the further information about routers: much appreciated. If and when I decide to buy one and get more serious about woodworking, I'll bear all those observations in mind.
just to reinforce what others have said, a 1/2" chuck is essential. A 1/4" cutter will flex too much.

Indeed it is but any DIYer reading your initial post is likely to assume that you were suggesting that you could just remove the polythene covering and butt them up.
Should never assume .

Should never assume .

Blimey mate. We are here to help DIYers. Why would you knowingly provide advice that could reasonably be interpreted incorrectly? If anyone follows your advice and it goes wrong, are they at fault for assuming that you were giving them good advice?

Had you said that square edge worktops can be butted up but only if one removes the front face laminate, I would have done the "thumbs up". You didn't do that though. You let the DIYers believe that you can butt up the two up, without explaining the extra steps required.

I occasionally make errors when offering advice. When corrected, I apologise. I wish that other people were willing to do that.

Blimey mate. We are here to help DIYers. Why would you knowingly provide advice that could reasonably be interpreted incorrectly? If anyone follows your advice and it goes wrong, are they at fault for assuming that you were giving them good advice?

Had you said that square edge worktops can be butted up but only if one removes the front face laminate, I would have done the "thumbs up". You didn't do that though. You let the DIYers believe that you can butt up the two up, without explaining the extra steps required.

I occasionally make errors when offering advice. When corrected, I apologise. I wish that other people were willing to do that.
Any advice can be misinterpreted, I am not responsible for other peoples errors .
I will never waste my time going into great detail on every thing I post .
If people want details they can ask, it would be dumb not too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back