Formica Worktop Edging

13 Mar 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
does anyone know if it's possible to buy formica (or similar) worktop edging (without obviously buying a worktop as well)?

only edging i can seem to find in the usual places is the aluminium stuff which is screwed on.

had to cut up some worktops and would prefer to use the formica stuff.
Sponsored Links
Yes. The original worktop manufacturer should be able to give you the names of distributors of their products. Trade suppliers can generally supply strips of decorative laminate edging (BTW Formica is a brand name, like Hoover or Xerox). The manufacturer's name is normally stamped on the underside of the worktop, e.g. Duropal/Pfleiderer, Prima/Formica, Bushboard, Orama, Resopal/Wilsonart, etc together with their catalogue reference for the laminate. What do yours say?

the worktop manufacturer is Pragel, used by Ikea.

had already asked in Ikea if they sold them separately, but apparently they don't.

a quick search on the web does not throw up too much. the correct pattern is not essential - it's a black, stone finish, but the edges i need to cover will only be partially visible.
Pragel??? Another Ikea special that no-one else will ever see :rolleyes:

In that case as it's a non-matchable worktop have you not thought about going to B&Q or HomeBase to see if they can sell you a roll of edging material (B&Q certainly do these for their own ranges) or failing that why not contact Pfleiderer and ask them who the distributor of Duropal is for Glasgow. I suspect it may be a company called West Coast, but then again I could be wrong. In Duropal the sorts of colours you are looking for are Dark Anthracite Fino, Star Black or possibly Black Myriade. Most trade worktop suppliers will happily sell you a 40mm wide strip of laminate about 2.6m long. The other manufacturers I gave you also have web sites and help desks and would no doubt point you towards a distributor - most of whom cut sheets of laminate into strips to provide this service for their trade customers.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies!

i never realised that B&Q sold rolls of edging - only noticed the aluminium screw in ones....i suppose it does help to ask :rolleyes:

as i said, it will not be very visible so i'm sure one of their finishes would be fine or else i can try one of the other places.

thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local