Foul smell in lower kitchen cupboard where waste stack comes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We were away on holiday for a week and came back to find a nasty smell in the house and discovered it was coming from the kitchen cupboard. This cupboard houses the boxed in waste stack from the upstairs bathroom and has a small inspection panel. we undid this but couldn't see any obvious leeks etc. Any ideas what it could be??

Sponsored Links
Is there an unused washing machine drain connection? If so, it needs capping or blocking, but if it is a washing machine trap, it may just need some water in it to seal it.

No. The washing machine is used and is in the utility room, there is a dishwasher in the kitchen but this is in use too. I think it probably seems worse when the upstairs bathroom is used??? I have also had a look and noticed that there is no visible vent on the roof and wonder where the stale air is vented to?? Would this be a pipe in the loft??

I meant an unused connection, not an unused machine! There was one such in my youngest son's house. What a pong!

There should be a permanent outside soil stack vent on every house, and any internal stack vents need an anti-vacuum valve such as a Durgo. This will let air in to but not out from the stack.

The problem could be a leak, which could lead to rot problems if it is wetting wood.

Keep looking!

Sponsored Links
you dont need a vent on your stack aslong as your drains join the main drain which they do cause your stack can vent of the next doors as the drains mix the smell could be a leaking seal at the bottom of the stack theses may not leak water as it passes it quick but can smell alot .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back