Foul water drain through length of footing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
So I have an issue. I've come accross foul drainage going through the middle of the 5 meter length of footing. However this drainage runs through the whole length at around 70cm depth. I was hoping to dig 1 meter. What's the correct way to get around this issue. The drain seems to have a load of haunching around it which takes up over half of my footing.

Sponsored Links
Move the footing

Move the drain

Get the water authority's permission if needed, as that looks like a shared drain

We came across this once where the drain travelled diagonally all the way along our proposed trench.
We bit the bullet and ripped the lot out, put a single chamber at one end (outside of the building) and straightened the drain so that it ran under the building but in a straight line just missing the found's. We then put two chambers at the other end to divert it back on track.

Such fun.

Oh and it was all 6" stuff so cost 3 times the price of 4". And it was a main sewer serving more then one property but was back in the day (only just) before sewers were adopted.

Sponsored Links
Diverting the drain is an option, but only normally if you are not building right up to the boundary, and have room for a manhole either side.

Diverting the drain is an option, but only normally if you are not building right up to the boundary, and have room for a manhole either side.
Yes, and falls are an issue too due to the slight elongation of the run. Changing from salt glaze to plastic helps as does precise drain laying i.e. no dips in the pipe etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back