Found this when starting digging footings for conservatory.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
img_1992.jpg
img_1991.jpg
I presume it's the power supply to the house? I'm surprised since this is the back of the house, and electricity meter is on the outside wall of the front of the house.

What's the solution? If I have to, I could just reduce the width of conservatory from 6m to 5.6m to avoid it.

Sponsored Links
I can't tell how thick it is from the photo! could it be your water supply?

Actually, yes it could be. The stopcock isn't far away on the other side of that wall. I'll go and measure.

Sponsored Links
Can I shutter and lintel it? Would this pass building regs, as I'm in 2 minds whether to do a proper extension which will needs BR, or just a conservatory.

I wouldn’t be concealing it if it’s mains water, especially since it doesn’t look laid to the correct depth. Try running water inside and feel the pipe for slight vibration.

is it black polythene? You may find a makers identification embossed or printed along the side.

Can I shutter and lintel it? Would this pass building regs
Yes, yes and yes, or...
Dig out your foundation as normal then sleeve it with a split downpipe, then tape it back together with a bung in each end. Don't let the discovery of a service put the job off unless its a gas service. A gas service (yellow or steel) should be moved to an outside wall and not be built over.

Electric and water (sleeved) are ok.

I’d be tempted to extend the duct to outside of the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back