Foundation depth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking into building a 6 metre long, 2 metre high brick internal wall on a ground floor concrete floor, I have had several builders come in for quotes, but I have been getting varying accounts on how deep my existing concrete foundation needs to be to do this? Can anyone advise what would be the normal depth?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If building on top of a concrete floor, what has the existing foundation got to do with it?

We had a similar wall built on our concrete floor as a dividing wall and there were no special foundations just straight onto the concrete floor which is about 150 cm thick.

Mike

Sponsored Links
It will all depend on the ground below.
Very true.
When I built a lean-to garage, the local building control gentleman, although very helpful and offering (free) advice, advised me that I should dig down about six feet to remove a couple of inches of known peat.
The existing house, incidentally, had stood on that same land for about 80 years, with typically minimal foundations, without sinking!

Hopefully, you might be luckier!

We had a similar wall built on our concrete floor as a dividing wall and there were no special foundations just straight onto the concrete floor which is about 150 cm thick.

Mike

Bit of a brain fart there, I meant to type 15cm oops!
And it was only breeze block

If the wall is not load bearing I agree with woody! If the OP has missed off some information such as the wall will be structural then a new foundation through the floor will probably be required. Depth usually depends on the suitablility of the ground.

Thank you for the responses, the reasons for asking was I was receiving varying accounts from different builders about whether the existing concrete foundation could be used... However after consulting with building control, I have been advised regardless of the current floor they would like to see a new foundation laid and will advise of the depth during inspections.

Thank you for the responses, the reasons for asking was I was receiving varying accounts from different builders about whether the existing concrete foundation could be used... However after consulting with building control, I have been advised regardless of the current floor they would like to see a new foundation laid and will advise of the depth during inspections.

Any existing foundations that you have will be around the perimeter of the building (or beneath any internal masonry walls). There won't be any in the middle of the floor, so they're not relevant. Why do you need to build the new wall out of masonry rather than timber?

Now you say it like that, it does seem quite obvious!
No real reason for masonry, just a personal preference of a relative.

If you build a timber stud wall it could be built off the slab with no foundations, and be just as strong as a masonry wall. Even if you use ply or cement board lining, it will be cheaper and less disruptive than messing about with foundations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back