Foundations for extension near a taken down tree - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a planning permission approved for the extension below. The right right is a the extension part.

I have a question in regards to the foundation since there was a tree (T1) on the right right side of the extension. That tree has been taken down few months ago. The stump of the tree is still there.

The tree (now a stump) was approximately 4m away from the extension. Should I disclose this information to building regs or best to keep it quite about it?

Tree (T2) is around 8 meters away and its a small (approx 13 feet high) conifer tree.

Can someone please advise what is the best way forward? Thanks.

1678450294007.png

Sponsored Links
Whether you reveal to BC or not is your decision but you should certainly design the foundation so the tree does not cause issues later.

It's your call regarding the inspector, but he may well comment on it when he checks the foundation trench. Google 'NHBC Foundations: Building near Trees' which might make you think again, depending on the type of soil you have, and other factors.

@jeds - you beat me to it!

It's your call regarding the inspector, but he may well comment on it when he checks the foundation trench. Google 'NHBC Foundations: Building near Trees' which might make you think again, depending on the type of soil you have, and other factors.

@jeds - you beat me to it!

Thanks for replies.
Does it still make a difference even if the tree is taken down and inactive?

Since it was a fairly large tree, the roots will surely be around for several meters (atleast)

Sponsored Links
The calculation can be made for tree retained or tree removed. There is some benefit to removal but not a lot.

Yes disclose it. He won;t presumably be a blind man walking around when they come to inspect. It will at worst just mean bigger foundational works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back