Foundations for porch in clay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Started to dig the foundations for my porch over the festive period.
Im currently down 500mm below existing ground level and into firm clay. Its diggable if loosened with a pick or can be 'sliced' in small sections with a spade vertically.

Top of concrete will be 3 bricks below DPC so that means currently the foundations will be a total of 275mm thick.

Construction will be medium dense concrete blocks (rendered) outside + 65cavity + thermolite inner with a small lean to/hipped roof so not a huge loads involved.

Building regs states that for medium plasticity clays a depth of 900mm is required. However I'm not required to comply as its external to the house with existing door remaining.

My concern is with clay swelling / shrinking and causing movement later down the line.

Has anyone undertaken such work before and if so what depth did you take foundations to? Any problems later down the line?

I'd rather not create work for myself if its not needed so thinking I can get away with a lesser depth? Any previous experience much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
The link below should allow you access to the Institute of geological Science, there are "maps" of all areas of the UK and you can find from them what the geology is like in your area

The image posted looks like it is fairly stiff.

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discovering-geology/maps-and-resources/maps/

Thanks Ken. Yes firm with pockets of stiff.
It's just the settlement issue I'm bit concerned with rather than Ultimate bearing capacity.

The house foundation depth may be a better guide.

Yes that's one indication. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's just the settlement issue I'm bit concerned with rather than Ultimate bearing capacity
It's neither of those with clay, rather the susceptibility to seasonal movement, or disproportionate movement from slight moisture changes.

Are there any trees or large shrubs in the vicinity?

During your excavations have you seen any root systens?

Are there any trees or large shrubs in the vicinity?

During your excavations have you seen any root systens?

Thanks for the response KenGMac. No large trees. A hedge 1.8m tall and 2m distance away No signs of root system.

The lack of any indication of root systems is good in that the Clay will not have trees Etc. drawing moisture from the ground.

The [so called] London clay is very highly susceptible to water being drawn out of it by the action of trees and large bushes. in certain conditions, long hot DRY summers London type clay will shrink this effect is exacerbated by any trees and such within an alarmingly large area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back