Foundations for porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I feel I should know the answer to this however I don’t do will ask someone more knowledgeable :)

I’ve dug my foundations out for a new porch - brick- which I’ve dug 1 metre down and 600 wide , we live in a very clay and high water tsble area

I was going to trench fill it with concrete and build up from there,

I’m just not sure how high I should fill the footings with concreted .

The current house and porch has three courses under ground but only sits on a slab may 6 inches .

I just don’t feel matching a 6 inch slab is the right call
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links

for strength purposes you dont need to fill the trench -the depth of concrete is not the deciding factor on stability, that depends most on the ground beneath the foundation

You probably dont need much more than say 300mm but it depends how easy it is to lay blocks in the trench -typically builders trench fill to avoid laying blocks down in the mud.

You could finish your concrete say 2 blocks plus say 2 bricks below ground level -ie about 8 courses down equal to around 600mm down.

it depends on labour of laying blocks versus cost of concrete.

Thanks notch for your reply,

I’m mixing the foundation concrete by hand and have a couple of ton of ballast laying around so that’s the cheaper option .

I think my concern is because it’s clay and I always have water in the bottom which I constantly pump out it tends to be like mush in the trench … I will be pumping and scraping the bottom before pouring the concrete … it’s pretty awkward to lay blocks low down as I’ve got two soil pipes and a main power cable crossing the trench

Yea I know perfect footings!
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I feel I should know the answer to this however I don’t do will ask someone more knowledgeable :)

I’ve dug my foundations out for a new porch - brick- which I’ve dug 1 metre down and 600 wide , we live in a very clay and high water tsble area

I was going to trench fill it with concrete and build up from there,

The current house and porch has three courses under ground but only sits on a slab may 6 inches .

I just don’t feel matching a 6 inch slab is the right call
Thanks
Jake
Top of concrete finish ideally is set at 7 courses of brick (525mm) down from DPC. Just right for accommodating a standard bottle gully with a wee bit of packing. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back