FOUNDATIONS FOR PORCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

There used to be an old porch attached to the housewhich we recently moved into (Built in the 80's from wood and single glazed glass)

I have since knocked it down because it was horrible and rotting. The base seems solid and the plan is to build a new porch from brick and breezeblock with just one window and upvc door.

Im just wondering if the origional foundations will be suitable for the new porch, i have the plans infront of me but dont have a clue.

450 X 225 Strip conc found 600 9.1 to base

Floor 50mm screed on 100 conc on 1200 gague dpm on (something i cant read - bad hand writing) on 100 hardcore. DPM to be made continuous with 2000 grade dpc 150 above 9.1
???? WTF????

The new porch as stated will be made from brick (350 of them) & 50 Breezeblock have one double glazed window and a 3 sloping roof.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
450 x 225 should refer to the width x depth, 600 could refer to the depth of found from ground level, an arbitary statement, if as I assume, as this is entirely dependent on ground conditions, 9.1 could refer to steel mesh?? if so 9.1 is 10mm wire
"50mm screed on 100 conc on 1200 gauge dpm." translates to 50mm sand cement screed, on 100mm concrete, this poured onto 1200 gauge building polythene which in turn is laid on a 100mm layer of hardcore (type 2 is normal) I think the bit you can't read will be 50mm sand or ash blinding coarse, which is simply a sealing/smoothing medium.
" DPM to be made continuous with 2000 grade dpc 150 above 9.1 " refers to the 1200 polythene (dpm) being dressed up and over the under build brickwork at the dpc layer, then the 2000 gauge dpc strips laid on top of this...phew! what a mouthful

View media item 56750
This explains things a bit better I think...pinenot

Thanks for that :)

Is this adequate in your oppinion to hold a brick porch that was previously a wooden one or is this going to have to be renewed?

Lee

Sponsored Links
Hi Lee,

If you can build with aerated/lightweight blocks and the weight difference minimized, there shouldn't be a problem.
If the ground conditions are good at the existing founds and there is enough depth, you could cast a topping coat on the existing found strips. First the existing top of these should be preped with a needle gun or similar...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back