foundations over drain run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to bridge our main drain out of the back garden at 3 points where it crosses new foundations. So each area requires special underpinning = dig out 200mm under the drain and lay concrete 400mm each side of the drain.

So there will be 800mm width of concrete at a depth of 200mm under the drain. I will then lay the foundations as normal up to the side of the drain.

I would like to know if it is ok to lay the small underpinning sections of foundation the day before i do the main pour. I just feel it will be much easier to have gotten these 3 sections poured and in place before i do the main foundation. I would make my own mix as well in the mixer. I don't need a huge amount of concrete for it as well.

Is this ok to do and could i place some steel threaded rod into the concrete projecting upwards so it binds to the new concrete the day after ?

Sponsored Links
It's recommended to pour in one go as I'm guessing you know, but plenty of sites online seem to recommend shuttering and rebar. It seems you should keep the joints away from any corner etc if possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back